Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f186/)
-   -   Sub size question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f186/sub-size-question-59809.html)

Blue88Comanche 05-10-2013 01:00 PM

Sub size question

I currently have a 15" kicker in a ported box and it sounds great and is bearly turned up. I want a sealed box but was also considering a smaller sub. How do 12", 1 10", or 2 10" subs compare quality wise.. I am not looking for loud just something smaller and still sounds great. When I get off work I will post pics of my current setup. Just need something that takes up less space

HemiDawg 05-10-2013 01:42 PM

Re: Sub size question

I have a single 10" Alpine with Alpine amp and it is plenty in the WK. I barely have the gain turned up on the amp and have the bass set below "0" on the EQ (factory head unit).

Go for quality, not quantity! :D

WKYeti 05-10-2013 02:06 PM

Im with HemiDawg 100%. My 10" kicker is plenty of bass ( and I like my bass!)
And takes up hardly any room in the back. Plus I made all my amp connections "quick-disconnects" so I can pull my box out or back in my truck in literally 10 seconds.

Blue88Comanche 05-10-2013 02:35 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I went with the 15 because i was not sure how a single or dual 10" would sound. I already have 2 10" alpines sitting I'm the house, I was planning to use them in my and dads Jeep Comanches.... Guess I could have hooked them up first...

And I agree with quality over quantity 100% I have the stock Boston amp and speakers they are awesome, just needed a little bass to finish it out. The 15 was a little overkill...

WKYeti 05-10-2013 02:44 PM

Beware the annoying rattle from the rear window wiper! I still cant figure a way to get rid of it... Short of removing it all together.

Blue88Comanche 05-10-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WKYeti (Post 820980)
Beware the annoying rattle from the rear window wiper! I still cant figure a way to get rid of it... Short of removing it all together.

I haven't run into that issue yet. Most of the rattles I have now are the tools in the little net area in the back and the dog kennel for my beagles

jeepster23 05-10-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue88Comanche (Post 820880)
I currently have a 15" kicker in a ported box and it sounds great and is bearly turned up. I want a sealed box but was also considering a smaller sub. How do 12", 1 10", or 2 10" subs compare quality wise.. I am not looking for loud just something smaller and still sounds great. When I get off work I will post pics of my current setup. Just need something that takes up less space

It all depends on what sub you get. I know of some single 8" sealed subs that will be louder and clearer than a 15" ported. If you want a cheap all around great sub that is tight and gets plenty loud I would look at a SSA DCON.

Sound Solutions Audio - Quality Car Audio Subwoofers

WK2007 05-12-2013 10:59 AM

The size of the subwoofer is not necessarily what determines the volume or amount of bass. Different configurations, including resistance (Ohm), sensitivity level (Decibel), and whether the box is sealed or closed influence how loud the volume will be. I enjoy pure sound over loud thumping bass and have configured my 12 inch to run in 8 Ohm rather than 4. This allows the unit to replicate the lower frequencies better than a 4 Ohm setup, meaning better quality sound. If I were you, I would figure out a budget, then contact a local stereo shop to see what they can offer. Cheap units are often a bad choice, both in terms of sound and build quality.

Boston 05-30-2013 06:42 PM

I agree. If you run a quality or decent 12, you might only need 1. I would go with an alpine type r 12" with a good 500rms amp and should be plenty of bass

Shafer57 05-30-2013 09:29 PM

I have a 12" Kicker CVR in a sealed box, cube shape, and it sounds real nice when I finally got it all dialed in. All using factory headunit.

antsjeep 06-04-2013 06:36 AM

Im running the JL stealthbox (single 10") paired with a JL 2501/1 amp and i have more bass than i know what to do with. The stock eq is set to zero and the amp gain is just at half. I had a sinlge 12" type r for a short time and it just made everything buzz and rattle in the back... Granted it was a TON of bass, it just wasnt what i was going for.

I couldnt be happier with the stealthbox and just the fact that it takes up no cargo space in the back makes it worth every penny.