Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   New Jeep-still figuring out what to do. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/new-jeep-still-figuring-out-what-to-do-59864.html)

havoc1310 05-11-2013 07:55 PM

New Jeep-still figuring out what to do.

Hey there everyone,

Well I pretty much just bought my first Jeep. A Rocky Mountain Edt. WK. 2009.

I'd like to mod it but since coming from a 98 corolla, I'm totally clueless on how to approach this vehicle.

The first on my agenda are new tires as the current ones it was sold it, I think they're stock, are pretty low on the tread.

What sort of tires would work best?

dr.lee.baugh 05-11-2013 09:47 PM

Re: New Jeep-still figuring out what to do.

What do you want to do with the Jeep?

Offroad? Highway? Do you want a smooth ride, or long tread life, etc., etc., etc.

If you look in the Tire thread, there are plenty of discussions about the range of tires available and what people think they do well.

I think you'll have way more fun with your jeep than the corolla!

BeZerK2112 05-11-2013 09:48 PM

That can be a loaded question. First, what direction do you want to go with your WK? that will help the discussion get started on good tire options.

havoc1310 05-11-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.lee.baugh (Post 821591)
What do you want to do with the Jeep?

Offroad? Highway? Do you want a smooth ride, or long tread life, etc., etc., etc.

If you look in the Tire thread, there are plenty of discussions about the range of tires available and what people think they do well.

I think you'll have way more fun with your jeep than the corolla!

Well I currently live outside of Philadelphia, so basically I'm looking for a nice cross section of a tire that can do some mild off roading, get good traction in the winter and has good life/MPGs.

Oh yeah definitely, can't wait to take it camping. It's already proven useful, during the Hurricane back in September. Working as first responder it's great knowing I got what I need to get to work and back!

BeZerK2112 05-12-2013 08:32 AM

So your looking for a good All Terrain tire then. Something with a softer compound so you get good traction with decent fuel economy, but something without too aggressive of a tread design so its quite on the road. With limited time off road... if I was to buy a tire based on this, and a budget, I would go with the Yokohama Geolander A/T. They are everything your describing. Check em out, see what you think.

Yokohama*Geolandar A/T-S

I've heard of a couple of guys running them on their WK's and love them. Personally I decided to go with a touring tire, but my Jeep hates the dirt.

havoc1310 05-12-2013 04:20 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, looks pretty doable! Hopefully it works as well as it's reviewed.

Bikemobile 05-12-2013 06:48 PM

I had those yoko at/s. They were really nice for 20,000 miles then they started to feather on the outsides really bad and got so noisy that i though my rear axle gears were going out. I rotated them every other oil change. Not sure what happened.

Smooth tire and a good balance of on road and off road. Maybe they need more frequent rotations?

Ive heard the hankook dynapro atm is very nice on road also. They wear well from what ive seen on friends vehicles.

dmsfun 05-13-2013 08:22 AM

Best AT tire I've had are the Cooper Discoverer AT3's. On highway and offroad, much better than the stock GY, GY Fortera tripletreads, or the Firestone Destination AT's I've had on mine. Smooth riding, minimal noise, plus outstanding traction in snow, offroad. For mostly highway, I'd go with Firestone Destination LE II's.