Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   3.6 gas mileage (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/3-6-gas-mileage-59949.html)

banjonut 05-13-2013 03:26 PM

3.6 gas mileage

I've had my 2014 JGC Overland 3.6 for almost a month now. What are people getting as real world MPG? So far, I'm getting around 20. Hoping it goes up as the engine gets a few more miles on it. I have a 2013 Town & Country. Same engine and get about 25 MPG.

SnoFire 05-13-2013 04:30 PM

There is a thread on this already..should be in the main section of the WK2 area.

1stJeepGC 05-14-2013 06:15 AM

Re: 3.6 gas mileage

Quote:

Originally Posted by banjonut (Post 822363)
I've had my 2014 JGC Overland 3.6 for almost a month now. What are people getting as real world MPG? So far, I'm getting around 20. Hoping it goes up as the engine gets a few more miles on it. I have a 2013 Town & Country. Same engine and get about 25 MPG.

Greetings,

Remember the engine is first breaking in. Also depends if you have the sele-terrian, if you do, then try keeping in the sports mode, you can a boost of .5-2 mph. If you looking for more check out the treads about cold air intake (CAI).

The Town & Country is not 4X4 or AWD, so you want even get close or exceed the 25 mph.

With my on/off road all terrain tires, I average about 22 mph +/- .5, which I consider for myself super. For more information, as the other post suggestions, search the WK2 for the various threads.

Best for now.:)

banjonut 05-14-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stJeepGC (Post 822659)

Greetings,

Remember the engine is first breaking in. Also depends if you have the sele-terrian, if you do, then try keeping in the sports mode, you can a boost of .5-2 mph. If you looking for more check out the treads about cold air intake (CAI).

The Town & Country is not 4X4 or AWD, so you want even get close or exceed the 25 mph.

With my on/off road all terrain tires, I average about 22 mph +/- .5, which I consider for myself super. For more information, as the other post suggestions, search the WK2 for the various threads.

I do have the sport mode but is not on of the choices on Select-Terrain, but rather in the shifter itself. Could you tell me exactly what happens in sport mode and why I would see an increase in MPG?

Thanks

1stJeepGC 05-14-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banjonut (Post 822674)
I do have the sport mode but is not on of the choices on Select-Terrain, but rather in the shifter itself. Could you tell me exactly what happens in sport mode and why I would see an increase in MPG?

Thanks

Greetings,

In sport mode, the power is dived more to the rear end at 70%. In a nut shell as explain to me, the greater the concentration of power, the less the engine has to produce in order to meet the desired speed. Years ago, those who had rear wheel posse traction often boosted they go further on a tank of gas than the 4x4ers. It would be nice if they gave us an option for 2-wheel drive as well.

If you do have the Quada-Lift, in sports mode the lower height gives you better aerodynamics, thus increasing your MPG.

Overall, coming from the Nissan Pathfinder, for highway MPG I am now getting 5 MPG more and I do not have purchase premium gas.

loveracing1988 05-14-2013 07:22 PM

Sport mode will hurt your mileage in the 2014, and if it helps in the 2011-13's it is because of the shift points, not because of power transfer. It is all about drag that the front wheels produce. A 2wd vehicle is going to get better mileage than a 4wd no matter what because of the weight difference and the power it takes to push those front wheels. On full time 4wd systems like the Grand Cherokee the front wheels are never disconnected so there is always drag. That is why they are coming out with disconnecting drive lines like the new Cherokee has to minimize those loses.

jacko15 05-14-2013 07:52 PM

The '14 QL puts the vehicle in aero even in eco mode over a certain speed.

1stJeepGC 05-14-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacko15 (Post 823069)
The '14 QL puts the vehicle in aero even in eco mode over a certain speed.

Greetings,

Once the computer registers a constant speed in the 60's, then the QL goes into aero mode.

1stJeepGC 05-14-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loveracing1988 (Post 823059)
Sport mode will hurt your mileage in the 2014, and if it helps in the 2011-13's it is because of the shift points, not because of power transfer.

Greetings,

I did not know that in 2014 it is different with 3.6 and the new transmission.