Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Engine Codes Galore (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/engine-codes-galore-59978.html)

Brad69 05-14-2013 07:30 AM

Engine Codes Galore

Ok, I changed the EGR Valve and Spark Plugs about 9 months ago, and about 3 months ago started getting a Check Engine for the EGR again. I hadn't gotten around to troubleshooting it, and the Jeep has been running fine.

So yesterday I go to get my Louisiana Emissions test, and it throws a ton of codes:

P0404 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Open Position Performance
P0520 - Engine Oil Pressure Sensor/Switch Circuit Malfunction
P0201-P0208 - Injector 1-8 Control Circuit
P2302 - Ignition Coil 1 Secondary Circuit- Insufficient Ionization
P2305 - Ignition Coil 2 Secondary Circuit- Insufficient Ionization
P2308 - Ignition Coil 3 Secondary Circuit- Insufficient Ionization
P2317 - Couldn't find this one, need to double check my paper

Any thoughts? The P0404 was what I was getting 3 months ago.

Also, I have been getting a message Check 4-Wheel Drive system.

And I can't figure out why this thing keeps shutting off on me!!

Brad69 06-19-2013 10:45 AM

Re: Engine Codes Galore

Anybody have any tips on where to start? I guess I will replace the EGR again and get a new OPS.

Those other codes worry me......

crewstopher 06-19-2013 12:42 PM

Big question to start is how many miles?

I've recently had the P0404 code pop up, and the "service 4wd system" on the EVIC. I replaced the EGR, PVC, spark plugs and wires about a month ago, with OEM replacements (or better). The P0404 code has only come up twice, and both about 4-hrs into a 6-hr trip. My research has found that the P0404 requires either a new EGR and/or a reflash from the stealership. I've cleared the code, and it has not come back since. I probably wont get the reflash, cause i'm more worried about the other changes the reflash will make.

I drained and filled the trans and diff's and reset the service interval in the EVIC and the "4wd" message went away.

As for the other codes you listed. All seem to be related to the spark plugs. I would double/triple check your torque on the spark plugs, and the electrical connections to the coil packs.

Brad69 06-19-2013 12:56 PM

Ok, so I came across something that mentioned the P0201-0208 codes as possibly being the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor), but I can't find any parts information on TPS for the 5.7 Hemi.

Does the 5.7 have a TPS. TPS was also mentioned when dealing with the stalling.....

2005JGC 06-19-2013 02:41 PM

Nope the TPS is a suggestion for the 4.7l

What spark plugs did you use?

What brand of EGR valve did you use?

If you did not use OEM plugs I would start there... all kinds of problems with aftermarket plugs that can cause unwanted voltage spikes to the pcm which could do god knows what, typically causes a "heart attack" and causes the vehicle to stall.

If you used the cheapest egr valve you could get your hands on I would probably throw a better on in reguardless.

jeepgcoman 06-19-2013 05:20 PM

Crewstopher has the right first question, "How many miles on your 05?"

X2 ^^^^ on 2005JGC's comments. The 05's were particularly sensitive to the type of spark plugs installed. If you used anything other than a quality copper core, this could be your problem. Also, if you still have the "wasted spark" wiring going across the top of the engine, and you have lots of miles on it, the resistance of the wiring may now be close to, or in excess of the limits. Remedies....use a good copper core, properly gapped spark plug (I use NGK LZTR4A-11, Stock No. 5306 in both my 05 Hemi LX and 06 Hemi WK), and get rid of the "wasted spark" system by installing Taylor Shorty wires (~$70), or switch valve covers, coils, and coil plugs to the 06 or later (~$300-400 new or $?? from a junk yard). I put the Taylor Shorties on my 05 about 7-8 years ago, and have never had an issue. I am now planning to hit the junk yard and get some later model valve covers, snip the coil plugs off the junk yard engine, buy new MSD or SOS coils, and put the whole later model setup on it.

As 2005JGC said, change the EGR Valve again, making sure you get a quality brand. The valve has an electronically controlled pintle that controls the amount of exhaust recirc. as determined by input from the PCM. When active, this pintle is continually moving, usually within a fairly narrow range (percentage). If it is not moving freely, as commanded by the PCM, for whatever reason, it'll throw a code. After replacing these items, then clear all the codes and see if you get any of them again. Oil pressure switch is a fairly common fail item, so you may want to replace it too. Get it from the dealer, and take your VIN when you buy it, because there are different types. The injector control issue may disappear too. A little driving after reset will tell. P2317 is the No. 6 coil ionization.

crewstopher 06-20-2013 01:54 PM

X2 ^^^ to jeepgcoman comments about the spark plugs and wires. I installed the Champion Copper 570's, as recommended by every 1st Gen Hemi owner I've talked to. As mentioned, the early Hemi's are very picky about their sparks. I would also recommend replacing the wires when replacing the plugs, however I installed the OMIX-ADA ThunderCore 7mm wires.

Brad69 06-24-2013 01:03 PM

My Jeep has 125,000 miles on it. I have only had it about a year. I replaced the spark plugs with Champion Copper Cores around 100k (Did my research on here prior to replacing them) using my Torque wrench.

I did see the information on the Taylor Shorties, I think I will invest in those and get a new set of plugs.

As far as the EGR valve, I don't remember if it was the cheapest, but I will be replacing it as well. Anybody recommend a specific product or should I get it from the stealer?

tomk 06-24-2013 01:17 PM

get the egr valve from one of the online mopar parts dealers.