Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   How to remove this... Pic attached (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/how-to-remove-this-pic-attached-60040.html)

Chunderboy 05-15-2013 07:58 AM

How to remove this... Pic attached

1 Attachment(s)
So, I am installing the running boards on my rig and to make the job easier I need to remove this part of the door (under the door actually). Yes, the brackets do go around this part of the trim, but the process of installation would be much much easier if i could remove this part, install the brackets, then re-install before I attach the actual running boards. I know there are about 5 or so of the black "plugs" (similar to the ones used on the front bumper) but just wondering if anyone has removed them.

Thanks.

FYI, the part in question is the black brow that runs the length of both doors (but under the doors)

Gary GC 05-15-2013 08:48 AM

Re: How to remove this... Pic attached

The black plugs you refer to are actually plastic rivets. The only way to remove them is to cut the head off, which destroys the rivet. The good news is that you can buy a very inexpensive rivet gun with rivets at either Harbour Freight or through E-Bay and replace them. I bought mine through E-Bay after having to replace some on the front bumper and they were identical to the OEM.

Chunderboy 05-15-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary GC (Post 823299)
The black plugs you refer to are actually plastic rivets. The only way to remove them is to cut the head off, which destroys the rivet. The good news is that you can buy a very inexpensive rivet gun with rivets at either Harbour Freight or through E-Bay and replace them. I bought mine through E-Bay after having to replace some on the front bumper and they were identical to the OEM.

Rivets, eh? isht. Is it the kinda thing that is hard to replace, or is it as easy as using the tool?

Here is the link to what I think you're talking about.

Hand Riveter with 40 Industrial Strength Poly Rivets

torifile 05-15-2013 09:53 AM

It would be easier to install the running boards by removing that piece but I found it to be manageable to get them on without doing so. I thought the extra effort to get them installed that way outweighed the possibility of my screwing the visible pieces up.

Chunderboy 05-15-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torifile (Post 823337)
It would be easier to install the running boards by removing that piece but I found it to be manageable to get them on without doing so. I thought the extra effort to get them installed that way outweighed the possibility of my screwing the visible pieces up.

Agreed. Just gunna have to scrape up the knuckles a little bit this weekend then.

torifile 05-15-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunderboy (Post 823346)
Agreed. Just gunna have to scrape up the knuckles a little bit this weekend then.

You really won't. It's not that hard. On the passenger's side, there is a little bit of plastic piping or something you'll need to unscrew from the frame so you can get the brackets installed but it's much easier than dealing with rivets, etc.

Gary GC 05-15-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunderboy (Post 823302)
Rivets, eh? isht. Is it the kinda thing that is hard to replace, or is it as easy as using the tool?

Here is the link to what I think you're talking about.

Hand Riveter with 40 Industrial Strength Poly Rivets

That is exactly what I am talking about. In fact it is the identical rivet gun I bought through EBay. Yeah, its a pain. You have to cut all the heads off the existing rivets, fish out the cores that remain in the body, then install the new rivets. Doable, but takes time. The only problem I had is that a couple of the new rivets didnt exactly break off where they needed to. Like any rivet, you pull on a stem that expands fingers behind what you are trying to hold. Past a certain point in the pull, the stem is designed to break off flush with the head of the rivet that you see.

Good Luck