Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Transmission issue (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/transmission-issue-60045.html)

hsfaquinn 05-15-2013 10:18 AM

Transmission issue

I have a 99 Jeep GC laredo with the 4.0 I6 and 42re transmission. the trans works fine when it is first started up, but after it is driven long enough to get warm and it is shut off and restarted the trans over temp and o/d off lights come on and then no overdrive and no fourth gear. then after driving a mile or so the lights shut off and everything works as normal. i've replaced the fluid and filter and also the governor pressure sensor and solenoid. anyone have any ideas?

JeepFreak12 05-15-2013 02:10 PM

Re: Transmission issue

Have you hooked up the scanner to see if it pulls any codes? Sometimes the dash will not show a light on but will have codes stored.

hsfaquinn 05-15-2013 05:02 PM

The dash gives me p0713 which I believe is the transmission temp sensor voltage too high

JeepFreak12 05-16-2013 05:24 AM

You could possibly have a bad ground wire somewhere, that could be a nightmare to find. look around for any loose or corroded wiring.

hsfaquinn 05-16-2013 07:11 AM

I Just looked under this morning. Do you think it would be possible to just replace the whole harness or would that just be a rediculous task?

JeepFreak12 05-16-2013 07:15 AM

Replacing the whole harness would take quite awhile to do.

hsfaquinn 05-16-2013 08:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
do all the wires go straight to the PCM?

and also do you know what this is?

Frango100 05-16-2013 11:49 AM

Did you change the governor pressure sensor (which has the temperature sensor in it) for this problem, or was that for something else?
Check the wiring harness for any chaving signs and remove/clean reconnect all connectors in the circuit.

hsfaquinn 05-16-2013 02:27 PM

Yes that's why I changed the sensor, thinking that would fix it. But it didn't. A few of the wires look as if they've been cut into. How can you tell if the wiring is bad?

Frango100 05-17-2013 09:33 AM

Probably best using a multimeter in ohms range and measuring between both sides of the wire and then wiggle the wiring and look if the resistance changes or maybe even goes to infinite (open wire) . The problem could also be the wiring inside the transmission. Did you check the connector on the transmission already?
Edit: just had a look at my 04 wiring diagram. (Could be different on your 99) you would have to measure between the transmission connector point 8 and the PCM connector C2 point 1. This is the temperature sensor wire. I can confirm tonight when im at home if the 99 wiring is the same.

hsfaquinn 05-17-2013 03:05 PM

I'll have to use the multimeter on it tomorrow And see what that brings me. I've been looking everywhere for the diagrams on the connectors going into the transmission But I can't find them anywhere. But from what I remember when the pan was down all the wiring looked good.

Frango100 05-17-2013 06:25 PM

Probably a good point to start wiggling is where you discovered the cuts in the wires, could be a weak point. When i'm at home i will send you the wiring diagram page for the 99.