Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

2014 Duplicate Songs on SD

10K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  chrisms 
#1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone else had this issue with their 8.4AN radio or if I'm the only one. We're getting ready for a trip to Vegas this weekend, so I loaded some of my daughters toddler music onto the SD card Sunday night in MP3 format the same way I've loaded all the other music I have on there. Since it was mothers day, we went out later to spend time with our parents and along the way I put some of her songs on to play with everything working fine that day and the following. Yesterday, I went out for lunch and was listening to some of my music from the SD card and I noticed the system starting to lock up and not wanting to read the SD card, so i figured I'd check it out later and reset the system again if necessary. After work, I went to pick her up from the sitter and tried again to play music off the SD card, this time it worked, but when I played from her folder all the songs somehow duplicated making 2 copies of each song. No other folder had duplicates but hers, so somehow the newest items on the card were only effected. I don't know how to bring this issue up to the dealer and when I checked the SD card on my laptop, there were in fact 2 MP3 files of each of the songs I loaded for her. Anyone else have a similar issue and how would this be possible if the system only reads the data?

#2 ·
Delete the copies of the songs and make sure the lock slider on the SD card is on. I think I've had this issue, it didn't lock up the system so no need to take to dealer.

#4 ·
Good tip, didn't think to do this since I didn't expect the system to try and write/copy anything to the card.

Any chance your laptop did it, before you even brought the card to the Jeep with these songs on it?
I doubt it since it would have played 2 sets of each song when I first tried it in the car on Sunday and Monday. It didn't start this till yesterday and I noticed too my total songs on the SD card had increased once the system started working normally again without my wife or me removing the card to add songs.

#5 · (Edited)
Just downloaded all my CDs to a Transcend SD card (16gb)..put it in slot of UConnect and it keeps saying INSERT SD CARD...doesn't seem to recognize it. Called SUPPORT...they say it has to be in mp3 or mwa format(all GREEK to me) and Transcend is not a compatible brand!! Several people on this forum have used that brand with no problem.. The SD card works fine on my home PC. I put the SD card in the computer, ripped all my CDs to it successfully and have no idea about the MP3 or MWA aspect of it...HELP!!! Also, SUPPORT says " you
can't trust anything on Jeep Garage..they are not an authorized source of official Jeep info" !!!!

#6 ·
Right and these are the people that are saying "wow never heard of that problem before" If it were not for these Forum we would all be in the dark
Go with a 8GB disk, in the laptop make sure they are all MP3, any song that is not will cause a stroke in the Uconnect. Don't just move songs over with Itunes as you might accidentally move a video or some other weird format song and you will get that issue. Also duplicates can be caused if you have a SD card AND an Ipod in at the same time.

#7 ·
Well I am having a similar issue. I have a SanDisk SD 16 Gb onto which I had some music when I got the car. It worked fine and I decided to add more music. It did. But after I added my collection of music (7 Gb) the system had a stroke. I checked for WMA; WAV; etc making sure there are only MP3 on it. I deleted any album art not JPEG/JPG. The card is recognized, the logo appears. Occasionally it would try to play a andom song but it would freeze within seconds. I've started removing songs (folders) to trim down the bulk but still no luck. I have tried another SD card and it works fine.

I will try to reformat the disk but I know there are no incompatible file types on the card. Or buy another card altogether.

#9 ·
I'm using a 16gb SanDisk card loaded with wma formatted music and it works fine. I used Windows Media Player to load the card, and it shows all the album artwork and song lists etc. I think if you reformat the card and add your collection again it will work fine. Let us know how you make out.

#8 ·
Just providing an update, I added a few more albums this weekend to the card and locked it as Snow suggested with no issues so far. As for Transcend not being compatible, that's what I'm using and other than the duplicate problem that occurred before, I've had no issues with the system recognizing and reading the card. I'll update if it duplicates again and might have to see if the dealer can figure this one out if I run into the issue, but so far all is well.

#10 ·
I use this Transcend: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VNKNF0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , which someone on this forum recommended. I have two already loaded with music and will have another couple soon.

I found that if you don't lock the sd card, the Jeep corrupts the card over time. What had worked for me is format with FAT32, copy over your music, then lock the card. I can switch between the cards while driving around and it recognizes the other card, but the coolest thing for me is that when I go back to the other card, it remembers which album I was on, which song and where I was when I ejected it.

From time to time, mine will glitch and not read any card until I leave it off long enough to fully shutdown. I also stopped using a USB thumb drive because I was having the corruption issue on it.

#11 ·
That's the same card I bought as well. I too had some problems with having the USB plugged in and just abandoned that port all together except for updating the system.

#12 ·
I've been using usb thumbdrives for music without any problem, but I take them out when not in use, and never leave them plugged in when I'm not using the vehicle. I think I'll bring them in and plug them in my computer to see if anything strange shows up on them. When I did the software update a logfile appeared on my usb after the update.

#13 ·
I had the same problem using a USB stick. The Media froze after playing a few minutes of a song. The Bluetooth streaming could be restored after a key-off period of time. However, whenever the USB was reinserted into the car, the Media lock-up re-occurred after playing a few seconds of music.
(I was not removing the stick when not used before the lockup. I removed after issue occurred.)
To fix the issue, I reformatted the USB stick and also renamed it to force the car to reread the contents of the stick. No issues yet, but it was only recently fixed.
It will be interesting to see if the issue happens again.

#15 ·
I'm having a similar problem with files being duplicated but in my case I am using a usb and the copied files are not being written to the usb but are somehow saved in the Uconnect system. My usb only has just under 900 songs but when I insert it into the radio it says I have more than 24,400. I can't understand how this happens. The first time I use it the file numbers are correct but using it more than once causes the problem. And it's seems to be only certain files that are being copied. Some have been duplicated 9 times. I only have mp3's on the disk. Any help would be appreciated.

#16 ·
Had problems with SD card as others mentioned. It appears temperature may have something to do with it. Here in Michigan it has been extremely cold and that is when I had problems. When the temp warmed it began working without any problems today. Also, I did have problem with the number of songs being inaccurate. It seemed to go from about 1200 songs to over 2000. Strange. So as I read from others, I deleted all songs, reloaded and locked the card. Hoping this takes care of the problem. Also, I loaded songs onto a thumb drive and tested while it was very cold temp and it worked fine. No problems but I do not want to leave inserted since i don't know if leaving it plugged in while parked will have any impact on battery since the thumb drive stays lit up.

#18 ·
#19 ·
This was an ongoing issue with uconnect for a long time last year, and I personally had a ton of this happening in my truck. I have not seen this at all since the last official release of uconnect software. What version are you running?

I will say that you should't waste your time looking on the SD card or the duplicates. They aren't there. I speculated that Uconnect does an initial read of the card and stores it in an onboard cache, which would allow it to traverse the library faster than doing actual lookups every time you start your vehicle. My assumption there is a quick scan done every time you start the car to insure the SD card has not changed and would update the cache accordingly. Anyway, my conclusion is that the onboard cache was getting corrupted, resulting in duplicate entries. Again I have not seen this problem since the last version of code was released.

If you are still seeing this issue, I would recommend reformatting the card and reloading your music. I think this will force the vehicle to interpret it as a new card and rebuild the cache from scratch. I would even rename the card while you are at it.

#20 ·
I have had this problem and thought it was just me, making silly mistakes transferring files.
Looks like it's not my imagination, might try a few of the suggestions here and see how I go.

Thanks for the info.

#21 ·
I have found this to work for me - With the vehicle off take out the memory device, restart vehicle and let the radio boot up and then turn off vehicle. Take the memory device and plug into a computer and delete the folder (album) with repeated songs.

Next get into the vehicle and wait until RUN light goes out, place the memory card back into the vehicle and start and run for a couple minutes to build index for card. Shut down vehicle, take out memory card and go back to your computer, place folder back onto memory card and put back into the vehicle.

#22 ·
Well I had this very same issue. I had 452 songs on a Sandisk and the next day I had 904 songs. I removed it for the Nav and installed it in my PC. I then had 452 songs again. I reformatted the Sandisk and reloaded all 452 songs back and installed it again in my Jeep. I again had 904 songs with duplicates of each song. I ending up buying another Sandisk to resolve the problem. I have no idea why this happen, but using another Sandisk (same type) just a new one fixed my problem.

#23 ·
What you have to do is also rename the card. I cant remember what the default name is. But I changed mine, when I reloaded it last time. Now, it's called SD1. If I have to reformat and do it again, it'll be SD2.

So far, mine is working fine, after updating all the tags on my mp3s. Like title, album, tracks, etc..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.