Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   GC unlocking itself (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/gc-unlocking-itself-60048.html)

banjonut 05-15-2013 10:41 AM

GC unlocking itself

Yesterday, I had this problem 3 times. (2014 GC Overland). I parked, shut off the engine, opened the drivers door, locked the doors using the inside door lock button, shut the door. Then, I walked around the front of the vehicle and the horn sounded 3 times and the doors unlocked. If I had been preoccupied, I might have walked off with the doors unlocked. Sounds like the vehicle thinks I left the fob inside. Anyone got any ideas?

not_too_shabby 05-15-2013 10:54 AM

Re: GC unlocking itself

Was it raining? I noticed when I was washing my car the other day with the keyfob in my pocket, everytime I sprayed water on the door handle, it would unlock the car.

banjonut 05-15-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by not_too_shabby (Post 823370)
Was it raining? I noticed when I was washing my car the other day with the keyfob in my pocket, everytime I sprayed water on the door handle, it would unlock the car.

Yes, I noticed that just today, while washing the Jeep, and no it was not raining when I had the unlocking problem.

This is something that I will have to keep an eye on.

amc2002 05-15-2013 01:21 PM

Just curious why you locked the door from the inside then shut the door instead of just closing the door then using the lock button on the handle? Maybe you confused your Jeep?

I always lock up only once all the doors are closed. Maybe shouldn't have to do that, but it has always worked...

marosenb 05-15-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amc2002 (Post 823457)
Just curious why you locked the door from the inside then shut the door instead of just closing the door then using the lock button on the handle? Maybe you confused your Jeep?

I always lock up only once all the doors are closed. Maybe shouldn't have to do that, but it has always worked...

That lock button on the outside: does it take a while for anyone else before it will lock the doors? If I stop the car, turn off, get out, I have to wait like 10 seconds before that button will lock them.

banjonut 05-15-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

I guess that's just my method. I know I can push the outside button also, but I figure, why mess up the wax job.

If this keeps happening, I will try the door handle button to see what happens.

I have a 2013 T&C with the same system and have never had that happen.

banjonut 05-15-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marosenb (Post 823459)

That lock button on the outside: does it take a while for anyone else before it will lock the doors? If I stop the car, turn off, get out, I have to wait like 10 seconds before that button will lock them.

I have noticed that. Seems to work right away.

banjonut 05-15-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banjonut (Post 823474)

I have noticed that. Seems to work right away.

I meant to say that I have NOT noticed that.

BobsWK2 05-15-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Using the lock button on the door handle or keyfob will honk the horn if that is checked in personal settings. The honk can get old real fast. Using the inside lock button is silent.

azzolij 05-15-2013 05:43 PM

I've experienced this behavior. It's random as far as I can tell, but I've started using the outside button more and haven't had it happen since.

padgett 05-15-2013 06:36 PM

a) I turned the honk off in the EVIC, just flashes
b) Any chance the other keyfob was inside the car ? That beep three times and unlock is in the OM. Will also do if it thinks a door is not closed.

banjonut 05-16-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by padgett (Post 823648)
a) I turned the honk off in the EVIC, just flashes
b) Any chance the other keyfob was inside the car ? That beep three times and unlock is in the OM. Will also do if it thinks a door is not closed.

The other fob was not in the vehicle. My wife had it and was about 1000 feet away. I suppose I can turn off the honk, but that would be worse since the doors would unlock and give me no warning.

Thanks for responding.