Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   It's towing time! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/its-towing-time-60091.html)

Og Neon 05-15-2013 08:25 PM

It's towing time!

Well the biggest reason I jumped to an SRT from my Tacoma is because I wanted to have an easier time towing my car to race events that were too far away. Well Sunday I broke my Evo after trying too hard to regain first place (welded the clutch to the flywheel from too hot of a launch), so now I am towing it sooner then I wanted to. I have to tow it 3hrs to a specialized shop that rebuilt my transmission for racing and the quite frankly the only shop I trust to do it right. I almost have 1100 miles on the Jeep, and just towing it around the neighborhood it already feels better then my Tacoma did towing the 6200lbs.

Stay tuned for a better review once I am done. I already don't like the sag though...time to get some helper airbags.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...51768152_n.jpg

Taken almost a month ago heading out to the same place to get my tranny rebuilt for racing (I installed helper airbags to level the truck when towing).

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...54323477_n.jpg

Lankness 05-15-2013 08:45 PM

Re: It's towing time!

Have you tried to put the hitch cover back on? I took mine off for the first time tonight to put a cargo carrier rack up for test fit... Cover won't go back on right (the 2 center tabs won't grab all the way).

Og Neon 05-15-2013 09:01 PM

Yeah, the very first time I tried to take it off I couldn't get it out because I didn't know how those tabs went in. So while at the dealership I had them show me, and I put it back on after they took off. After that I haven't had an issue, I will see how it goes after I am done though.

Willx 05-15-2013 09:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Og Neon (Post 823708)
Well the biggest reason I jumped to an SRT from my Tacoma is because I wanted to have an easier time towing my car to race events that were too far away. Well Sunday I broke my Evo after trying too hard to regain first place (welded the clutch to the flywheel from too hot of a launch), so now I am towing it sooner then I wanted to. I have to tow it 3hrs to a specialized shop that rebuilt my transmission for racing and the quite frankly the only shop I trust to do it right. I almost have 1100 miles on the Jeep, and just towing it around the neighborhood it already feels better then my Tacoma did towing the 6200lbs.

Stay tuned for a better review once I am done. I already don't like the sag though...time to get some helper airbags.

Rather than the Air Bags, you ever think of trying an Equalizer (or other brand weight distribution system). Take a look at the photo below. 7000 Pounds loaded and it helps put lots back to your steering axle.

Now there is a little sag in this but I adjusted it after that and it is completely level. i will post a picture or PM you with it setup with the Durango if you are interested... Makes the Steering so much more normal.

Lankness 05-15-2013 09:09 PM

Ok - learn me please!

There are 4 slots across the top. There are 4 tabs on the cover. I can tilt it up and get what seems like all 4 tabs in their respective slots, but no matter how I tilt it back to put the bottom screws in the middle 2 pop out. It almost seems as if they aren't long enough...

So now I have a nice little gap down there.

Adding a picture:
http://i.imgur.com/jkvbEM7.jpg

12Jeep 05-15-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lankness (Post 823736)
Ok - learn me please!

There are 4 slots across the top. There are 4 tabs on the cover. I can tilt it up and get what seems like all 4 tabs in their respective slots, but no matter how I tilt it back to put the bottom screws in the middle 2 pop out. It almost seems as if they aren't long enough...

So now I have a nice little gap down there.

Adding a picture:
http://i.imgur.com/jkvbEM7.jpg

I have the same problem on my 2012. Took it to the dealer, they ordered another cover, same issue.

Og Neon 05-16-2013 06:34 AM

Humm interesting on the hitch cover. Not sure what to do about that other then take it back to the dealer.

So far I towed it to work and will leave after work for the repair shop. My only issue right now is I get a lot of creaking and popping. I don't know if that is normal or not. With the truck the hitch wasn't under the cab so maybe I never noticed it. But it sure is noisy. The truck pulls well and the tranny temp hasn't even made it up to operating temp after 20min of driving, so the tranny doesn't seem to be straining at all.

Willx I am interested in a load leveling kit.

Og Neon 05-16-2013 06:41 AM

Also will load leveling kits work with a uhaul trailer? I hate using them but I have to until I can find a trailer I want and can store it somewhere.

Willx 05-16-2013 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Og Neon (Post 823942)
Also will load leveling kits work with a uhaul trailer? I hate using them but I have to until I can find a trailer I want and can store it somewhere.

There is about 10 different kinds. They all work a little different. "Equalizer" is just steel bars that apply force to to front wheels of the tow vehicle and use good old fashion friction to minimize sway. I will take some photos of my system tonight and post. It is a little noisier than some but also very uncomplicated and easy to adjust.

Current noises you have..... is there play in the hitch insert? I have seen some of them pretty loose. Could also be suspension noise from the car hauler. That will sometimes transfer through and you are attached to the unibody on the jeep vs the isolated frame of the old truck so yes you may hear/feel more.

Andy R 05-16-2013 07:06 AM

One of the reason equalizer type weight distribution hitches are great is because they help transfer the weight from the ball of the hitch up to the front axles. When you have a heavy load on the back, the rear axles become the fulcrum and with a fairly short wheelbase vehicle like the GC this could lead to issues in emergency driving situations (ie. where you need to make a small quick turn). The longer the wheelbase the better for towing because it puts the weight of the engine further away from the fulcrum and thus that keeps more pressure on the front wheels meaning they will keep traction better. If you're out driving normally, it's probably not an issue but in an emergency situation where you might need to steer around something, not having enough pressure on the front tires could cause the car to skid instead of turn.

Here is some more info on weight distribution hitches:
How a weight distribution hitch works - Forest River Forums

I haven't looked up the details for towing with an SRT but please post back here if you research weight distribution hitches for the new GCs. I am sure others who plan to tow would like to learn from your research (which types work, make towing capacity, etc).

Lankness 05-16-2013 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12Jeep (Post 823840)
I have the same problem on my 2012. Took it to the dealer, they ordered another cover, same issue.

Well that is disappointing...makes me wonder how in the hell they got it on the first time. My guess is they put it on the rear fascia before it is attached to the vehicle - if I could get my hands behind it it would be easy.

Willx 05-16-2013 07:26 AM

Excellent description.... and yes the emergency handling is the most important aspect.

*** just because the tow vehicle is level doesn't mean it is safely distributing the weight. Common mistake with other short wheel base tow vehicles like the older Touareg with the air suspension. Watched the vehicle level itself out then watches two guys lift the front end of the vehicle up off the ground.

Now that demo was a little exaggerated by the way they weighted it but I have towed with larger loads behind a few shorties. Besides the emergency thing which is the most important you will also save the life of your rear suspension AND it will be more comfortable (less head bounce off the headrests over bridges :). )

Will hook up this evening and post the pics tonight. There are "better" systems out there that are a fair bit more money but this unit is a very good value and has worked well for me on about 5 different tow vehicles.