Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Odometer/ Radio Lights Flickering (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/odometer-radio-lights-flickering-60101.html)

redram2007 05-15-2013 11:40 PM

Odometer/ Radio Lights Flickering

My wife was driving home and called me to tell me her "dash lights were flickering". So i told her to twist the dimmer switch a couple times to see if it would help, and it did temporarily so i told her when she pulled in the garage leave the jeep running and the lights on so i could check it out. I got inside and sure enough it started again but this time in park. The only lights flickering were the odo, trip, and radio from what i seen while it lasted (maybe 10 sec) and it stopped. I turned the car off waited a few started it back up, turned on every acc possible and it was fine. I checked the battery, alt, all the fuses and relays and reset the pcm and everything has the right voltage and looks normal. I did some research on google and a lot of people have or have had this issue in some form but not a clear troubleshooting procedure or diagnosis. Does anyone have any ideas or answers on where to start? I prefer to stay away from the dealer and do it myself. It is a 2005 jeep grand cherokee laredo 4.7 4x4.

Thanks in advance.

ALPINEST4RS 05-17-2013 07:54 AM

Re: Odometer/ Radio Lights Flickering

Do the headlights flicker aswell? If so, its a multifunction switch. If the headlights do not flicker, i'd be looking at a battery or altrenator. Could be a bad ground somewhere, ect. Get you alt and battery tested at autozone, orileys, or pep boys.

redram2007 05-17-2013 08:08 AM

Headlights are fine, I checked the battery with the vehicle off with my multi meter and it has 12.79v. My first thought was bad battery bc if the battery is bad it can cause crazy stuff to happen with the electronics. It hasn't happened again but I will have the battery load tested and keep an eye on it. Thanks for the info.

ALPINEST4RS 05-17-2013 08:22 AM

No problem, it also wouldn't hurt to get a scan at the dealer. May have tripped a code. If you have a good reputable dealer go there. My dealer scans for free.

redram2007 05-17-2013 08:28 AM

I think I read somewhere where a ground strap is known to break from the engine torquing. As for the dealers around here they won't help for free they're all about the money and for some reason once I asked for a military discount they have treated me like shit

ALPINEST4RS 05-17-2013 08:31 AM

Well, if thats the case torque the engine and see if you get a flicker. If the ground strap was broken completely, I think it wouldn't be working at all. I've never seen that myself, but anything is possible.

Good Luck!

Megatron 05-17-2013 11:19 AM

Happened to mine before. Best solution was to remove all other keys attached to the keyfob. Hope that works for you

redram2007 05-17-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron (Post 824676)
Happened to mine before. Best solution was to remove all other keys attached to the keyfob. Hope that works for you

So what was the problem with yours?