Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Transmission Over Temp (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/transmission-over-temp-60130.html)

huskyenergy91 05-16-2013 04:56 PM

Transmission Over Temp

Sorry, I posted in the wrong forum earlier...

Well guys, Ive done some looking around the forums and still hasnt seemed to be much of a solution. If anyone has had the problem fixed, can you tell me what you did, or what your mechanic replaced.

Its happened for about a year now. In the summer it only opens, once it cools down in Canada in the winter it goes away.

In the summer it will usually happen when its hot, the light will come on, and then when I stop at a light you can really hear the fan kick in to gear. Also, it affects the shifting as the shifting points are no quiet sharp. Ill pull over, put back into park, turn jeep off and then on and the light will clear. It will then turn on the next day.

The Jeep dealership has never been helpful so I plan on taking it into a local transmission shop to do the work, but I would like to atleast throw him some ideas on what it could be. I've heard on this forum about replacing the module, the sensors, and yet still no fix...I just wanna keep away from spending 2000 bucks on parts that are perfectly fine.

This is on a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Hemi

Thanks folks

huskyenergy91 05-17-2013 10:20 AM

Re: Transmission Over Temp

Well I plan on taking it in to atleast get it looked at. I'm gonna take it to a well known local tranny shop instead of the dealership. Hopefully they can do something about it.

fcdd25 05-17-2013 04:54 PM

I posted this on another thread a day or so ago.

I've been having the same problem since June 2010 on my '06 GC 4.7L. Trans always shifts fine when TOT is not on. Couldn't find answers by asking dealers or local shops or surfing web.

Bought an infrared thermometer and for awhile when light came on I pulled over and shot the ray at tranny pan. Temp was always at 180 degrees (give or take a few) which is spec. Had fluid/filters replaced at dealer in January and it still comes on at times. It seems to go in streaks: nothing for a few weeks and then on/off for a few weeks. No pattern.

Realized this is probably just another of the many electrical glitches our Jeeps have and decided not to worry about it any more. Have driven about 45-50000 miles since first incident and tranny seems fine so far. If I ever find an answer I will post it. In the meantime make sure your fluid is always full and only use ATF+4 and don't lose sleep over it.

huskyenergy91 05-23-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fcdd25 (Post 824797)
I posted this on another thread a day or so ago.

I've been having the same problem since June 2010 on my '06 GC 4.7L. Trans always shifts fine when TOT is not on. Couldn't find answers by asking dealers or local shops or surfing web.

Bought an infrared thermometer and for awhile when light came on I pulled over and shot the ray at tranny pan. Temp was always at 180 degrees (give or take a few) which is spec. Had fluid/filters replaced at dealer in January and it still comes on at times. It seems to go in streaks: nothing for a few weeks and then on/off for a few weeks. No pattern.

Realized this is probably just another of the many electrical glitches our Jeeps have and decided not to worry about it any more. Have driven about 45-50000 miles since first incident and tranny seems fine so far. If I ever find an answer I will post it. In the meantime make sure your fluid is always full and only use ATF+4 and don't lose sleep over it.

Mines currently getting worked on at the local transmission shop. There were a few problems beyond the transmission over temp light, so its a good thing Im bringing it in.

On a side note, I would leave the light and ignore it, however, it kicks my gearing out of wack, and I cant have that.

The transmission shop ensures they will have it replaced.

fcdd25 05-27-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huskyenergy91 (Post 827753)
Mines currently getting worked on at the local transmission shop. There were a few problems beyond the transmission over temp light, so its a good thing Im bringing it in.

On a side note, I would leave the light and ignore it, however, it kicks my gearing out of wack, and I cant have that.

The transmission shop ensures they will have it replaced.

Please post what the tranny shop tells you about the TOT msg. Even though it doesn't seem to be causing a problem on mine, I would like to know what's setting it off it. Thanks!

huskyenergy91 05-30-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fcdd25 (Post 829898)
Please post what the tranny shop tells you about the TOT msg. Even though it doesn't seem to be causing a problem on mine, I would like to know what's setting it off it. Thanks!

Just got my Jeep back from the shop. They have diagnosed the problem to be the TCM Tranmission Control Module. They had taken it out, hooked it up to their computer and when they heated it up, the module would stop working. With a hit of their hand to the side of the box it would kick back in.

This happened several times throughout a period of 10 minutes. They have ordered me a new module and should be in next week.

Hopefully this helps you, they have mentioned that they have seen this happen to alot of Jeeps.

Cheers.

PS this was done at a local transmission shop that does alot of work in the city. My local dealership was very unhelpful.

dr.lee.baugh 05-31-2013 09:24 AM

You have the hemi correct?

I would double check with the transmission shop that is doing the work that they have identified the problem as the transmission control module (TCM)...

The hemi does not have a transmission control module, but rather has an integrated Powertrain and Transmission Control module (a PCM)...kind of hard to remove, diagnose and test a part that doesn't exist!

They may just be referring to it as something else, but if it is the PCM, they may have difficulty replacing it as it comes wiped clean from the factory and has to be programmed at a dealer.

I'd just ask lots of questions to make sure they aren't trying to pull one over on you.

The 3.7 still has a separate TCM.

huskyenergy91 05-31-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.lee.baugh (Post 832346)
You have the hemi correct?

I would double check with the transmission shop that is doing the work that they have identified the problem as the transmission control module (TCM)...

The hemi does not have a transmission control module, but rather has an integrated Powertrain and Transmission Control module (a PCM)...kind of hard to remove, diagnose and test a part that doesn't exist!

They may just be referring to it as something else, but if it is the PCM, they may have difficulty replacing it as it comes wiped clean from the factory and has to be programmed at a dealer.

I'd just ask lots of questions to make sure they aren't trying to pull one over on you.

The 3.7 still has a separate TCM.

There was a module they pulled out. They showed me it. They showed me in front of my eyes it kicking out.

Theyre calling it a TCM. They are a credited shop in my city, they are NOT the dealership.

I trust them, if they fix it Im happy. Im simply giving out my advice. They know a hell of alot more about transmission components then I do.

huskyenergy91 05-31-2013 10:23 AM

Sorry, what he had shown me was a box. PCM/TCM. I just gave him a call, hes well aware of what it is.

fcdd25 05-31-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huskyenergy91 (Post 832201)
Just got my Jeep back from the shop. They have diagnosed the problem to be the TCM Tranmission Control Module. They had taken it out, hooked it up to their computer and when they heated it up, the module would stop working. With a hit of their hand to the side of the box it would kick back in.

This happened several times throughout a period of 10 minutes. They have ordered me a new module and should be in next week.

Hopefully this helps you, they have mentioned that they have seen this happen to alot of Jeeps.

Cheers.

PS this was done at a local transmission shop that does alot of work in the city. My local dealership was very unhelpful.

Thank you for the update. I'll have to explore this for my truck. Please let us know in a few weeks if it seems to have worked.

Its hard to tell with these electrical glitches because they might disappear for weeks or months on their own and then come right back. At least that's what happens with mine.

BTW, my local dealers were useless too. Thanks again!

huskyenergy91 05-31-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fcdd25 (Post 832403)
Thank you for the update. I'll have to explore this for my truck. Please let us know in a few weeks if it seems to have worked.

Its hard to tell with these electrical glitches because they might disappear for weeks or months on their own and then come right back. At least that's what happens with mine.

BTW, my local dealers were useless too. Thanks again!

Yep I agree. I let the shop drive my Jeep around all week. Eventually the glitch came on and they were able to quickly tell what it was using whatever hand held they had.

Ill keep you posted, the part is supposed to be here Wednesday.

huskyenergy91 06-23-2013 09:12 PM

Well guys, after fixing a bunch of parts, and headaches. I finally figured out the issue. Yes, I forget the member who mentioned it, but every Jeep is different depending on engine size and transmission. My 5.7 Hemi has a module called an ECM module.

My shop was able to do a bunch of diagnostics and we have switched out the ECM module as they saw it was kicking in and out. I now have a new ECM module and I've been working A'Ok lately :)