Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   Dragging front brake pads? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/dragging-front-brake-pads-60150.html)

wkearney99 05-17-2013 07:33 AM

Dragging front brake pads?

Just put on a new set of rotors and pads up front on my 06 Limited. Trouble is the pads seem to be dragging.

I replaced the calipers last year (cheaper than replacing the cracked pistons alone). Removed a set of stillen drilled and slotted rotors as they ate through pads pretty quick and always made an annoying clickety sound.

Meanwhile the new setup seems to be dragging as there's a metallic swishing sort of sound coming from them that goes away when the brake pedal is pressed, while moving of course.

The slipper clips seemed to give me a lot of trouble getting them installed. These are the clips that snap into the channels that carry the ends of the brake pads. Anyone else had trouble with them? Like having them bind up the pad and prevent it from backing off from the rotors?

ALPINEST4RS 05-17-2013 08:38 AM

Re: Dragging front brake pads?

Drive it for a little while and let the brakes burnish. Does it feel like they're dragging?

wkearney99 05-17-2013 10:21 AM

With a Hemi, how would you tell? Heh.

No, not really, it doesn't seem to be rolling any slower when in neutral on a slight grade. There's just a noise of the pads slightly dragging on the rotors.

I'm picking up a caliper kit that includes new boots and the slipper clips. We'll see if that makes any difference.

ALPINEST4RS 05-17-2013 10:47 AM

Its probably pad to rotor noise.

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-17-2013 12:22 PM

are you sure you don't have a broken wheel hub? sounds like mine when my hub assembly went out

wkearney99 05-17-2013 04:50 PM

Yes, of course it's a pad-to-rotor noise, that would be what I'm looking to eliminate.

Since it's a new hub, as of last Fall, and it's a new noise that came with the pads/rotors, I'm thinking it's NOT a hub. That and I know that sound already and this isn't like it.

ALPINEST4RS 05-21-2013 10:11 AM

Well i'd remove the pads and put anti sieze in the slides, remove the caliper pins and check to see if they're dry, lube em up. Make sure the pads move freely throughout the bracket. Also jack up the front of the truck after driving and see if the wheels are dragging, not moving at all. If everything is moving freely then its the pads. Try a different pad material too. If you bought crap, you're going to get crap. IMO, I use OEM pads and never had an issue.

You know there is a proper burnishing procedure so this noise doesn't occur??

Tech Tip: Brake Burnishing Procedures for New Brake Pads or Shoes: Brake and Front End

wkearney99 06-14-2013 12:54 PM

To follow up, I replaced the pad spacers and the rubber parts for the slide bolts and the noises went away.

Use this kit from Autozone: Brake Disc Hardware Kit - Front