Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Audio Install Image Dynamics and JL. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/audio-install-image-dynamics-and-jl-60166.html)

sswails 05-17-2013 08:07 PM

Audio Install Image Dynamics and JL.

Nothing big, did that and have the t-shirt. Anyway, I decided to upgrade the fronts with Image Dynamics XS69's that I had lying around. Don't need the passives so ditched those. Of course, the sound was immediately noticeable with muddy sound gone. Up front bass more accurate and articulate then before. I have the Fader more to the front. Not a big fan of music coming from behind me. I want it out front and WIDE. I did put a couple layers of Dynamat behind the speakers and Covered the 6x9 shell with Dynamat as well.

So then, I took out the factory subwoofer. Decided to go ahead and reuse box, not spending "Stupid" money for the Stealthbox.....way overpriced. Anyway, sealed the box using bedliner spray with about 5 coats. CAN YOU SAY HEAVY. I then covered that with acoustic spray. Bought the JL 8W3v3 4 ohm. Due to the depth, I had to make MDF ring to raise the woofer up. I sealed the back hole with some MDF and liquid nails before sprayed...same with rubber grommet for the wiring harness. I did spray the quarter panel with acoustic spray and layered some dynamat behind the Sub enclosure. Good way to test the seal is pushing the woofer in....should return fairly slow.

The sound was immediately noticed, with really deep lows playing "The Joint" on Sirius. Went ahead and through in some Dire Straits and Dark side of the Moon. Very very happy. It images better then factory but not quite centered. Drums roll across the dash....left to right or right to left...wider than I expected which is great.

All in all, I may have $200 wrapped in it with the Sub and misc stuff....

RageOfFury 05-17-2013 08:26 PM

Re: Audio Install Image Dynamics and JL.

Awesome!

:pics:

sswails 05-17-2013 08:34 PM

i know.....I know. I was so into it today that I forgot. I figured out how to take the sub enclosure out without ripping all interior out. I just basically pulled it back once I got the rear scuff plate and spare wheel out. The enclosure fastening nuts were not tight...not loose rattling, but not tight. I couldn't believe how much that damn enclosure weighed when I was done with the liner spray. My neighbors probably thought I was nuts spraying in the driveway....lol. I ended up using the old subwoofer screws to hold the MDF in place. I also went ahead and used weatherstrip foam between the MDF ring and the enclosure. Covered it with liner to seal it.

sswails 05-17-2013 08:40 PM

I seen somewhere on here that the enclosure is 5" deep. Not even close. I measured a few times when drying. I didn't write it down but it was 4 inches up high and 3 something down on the low side. Wish I would have written that down.....for everyone.

leks66 05-18-2013 09:08 AM

Pics man come on!

Jrunr 05-18-2013 10:04 AM

So you are doing all 0f this and still using only the factory amp?

sswails 05-18-2013 10:07 AM

Yep, factory amp in this application is just fine.

sswails 05-18-2013 10:53 AM

I have a pair of ScanSpeak Illuminator Tweeters lying around as well. I may throw those in, which can be done now without taking the door off.......those are some of the best tweeters I've heard.

Jrunr 05-18-2013 03:12 PM

Did you just go "plug and play" and excluded the ID cross overs to use the jeep factory ones? Does anyone know what the x-over is for our front door speakers and/or how much power they are actually getting?

sswails 05-18-2013 04:12 PM

Yep, all factory.

Andoskyy 05-20-2013 08:27 AM

A lot of people here forget that we are dealing with an amplified system...if you have the alpine of course.

The 9 speakers aren't being powered by a head unit...its a real amp sending real power to speakers. It may not be as much as an aftermarket amp...but it's there.

High quality, EFFICIENT, speakers aren't cheap....that's why Alpine/Jeep put those speakers in there. They sound decent for what they are....a mass produced speaker going into millions of jeeps.

If you replace them with a quality, highly efficient (Read: sensitivity) speaker, they're going to use the power sent to them by ANY amp much better, and produce a cleaner, more powerful sound. These 6x9's referenced here are ~$500 and have a 93db sensitivity rating. They're excellent speakers.

As for the subwoofer...I have no doubt making the enclosure stiffer will help. The best subwoofer cabinets weigh upwards of 150 pounds...yes, the magnet on the speaker is large and heavy, but it's the internal bracing and thickness of the walls that really make them heavy. Same theory applies to the subwoofer driver itself....its more efficient than the stock one combined with a stiffer cabinet...it's going to move more air.

sswails 05-20-2013 10:44 AM

I've built more systems than I care to admit. Car Audio Speakers are generally overpriced for what uou get. DIY'ers will out perform and at a fraction of the cost. If you want speakers that will out perform all day long then check out Parts-Express or Madisound. When I built SQ oriented systems I would use brands as ScanSpeak, Fountek, Dayton, CSS, TangBand.. etc...etc. Heck the best midrange/Tweeter Ive heard as many others have as well is Fountek FR88's. Retail $35 each. ZaphAudio is a good place to check driver ratings.