Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Paddle shift back to drive (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/paddle-shift-back-to-drive-60203.html)

rcz22 05-19-2013 02:33 AM

Paddle shift back to drive

On the '14 wk2 when using the paddle shifters - how do you engage regular drive mode again? I've had to shift up to neutral back to drive for auto to take over / there had to be another way.
-Thanks!

donkeytaco 05-19-2013 06:45 AM

Just press and hold the + paddle for a bit. Should put it back to auto.

cnynctry 05-19-2013 09:42 AM

Re: Paddle shift back to drive

You can also pull the shift lever back and it will go to sport or drive. Smoothest way though is to hold the + paddle as mentioned.

bill_de 05-19-2013 10:09 AM

Version 3 of the owner's manual still says to push the shift lever to the side. On the same page they refer to the 5 forward speeds.

It's one thing to have salesman that are not up to speed, but version three of the owner's manual!

Does nobody with knowledge of the vehicle ever proof read these before they go out. I thought the 8 speed tranny was supposed to be a big deal.

---

rcz22 05-19-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donkeytaco (Post 825461)
Just press and hold the + paddle for a bit. Should put it back to auto.

Thanks!

PaulR1 02-05-2014 02:27 PM

hello,,,JGC 2014 owners,,l also experienced accidentally touch the paddle shifter while driving and it started to jerk,, so l pull over didnt know what happen.,but figured it out later on,,but l now l already know how to use the paddle shifter,its so much fun.....BTW somebody mentioned holding the paddle shifter for a few seconds it will go back to normal driving,,,l havent tried that.....thank you ....

bytman 02-05-2014 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulR1 (Post 970960)
.BTW somebody mentioned holding the paddle shifter for a few seconds it will go back to normal driving,,,l havent tried that.....thank you ....

Make sure you hold down the right paddle. The one marked +.

raptor5618 02-06-2014 10:17 AM

thanks, read the book and could never figure out how to push the shifter lever to the right. Maybe they meant the button, never figured it out. Usually went to manual because I bumped the paddles. Only way I figured out was to move it into Neutral and back into drive. Probably not a great idea but I usually was only in 1st gear trying to figure out what was going on. Resisted using them all together because I was unsure how to get out of manual shift.

racer-xerols 02-06-2014 05:40 PM

The old transmission (5 speed "autostick") had two side-by-side gates. The one closest to the driver was the normal PRND set. Move the shifter to the right into the other gate, and that engaged the manual "+/-" mode where you tipped the shifter forward for an upshift, and backwards for a downshift. You then moved the shifter back to the left (towards the driver) to put it back in normal automatic mode.

I'll have to check my manual version (bought my Summit in 12/2013) but mine has the proper "hold the + paddle for 2 seconds to return to automatic mode" notation.

5.7summit 02-06-2014 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racer-xerols (Post 971572)
The old transmission (5 speed "autostick") had two side-by-side gates. The one closest to the driver was the normal PRND set. Move the shifter to the right into the other gate, and that engaged the manual "+/-" mode where you tipped the shifter forward for an upshift, and backwards for a downshift. You then moved the shifter back to the left (towards the driver) to put it back in normal automatic mode.

I'll have to check my manual version (bought my Summit in 12/2013) but mine has the proper "hold the + paddle for 2 seconds to return to automatic mode" notation.

http://o.aolcdn.com/dims-global/dims...-srt8---38.jpg
Are you talking about a WK2 or WK1? My 2012 5 speed you just put it in drive and anytime in drive you could push the shifter left or right to engage Autostick. Left was for downshift and right was for upshift. You can see the plus & minus signs where the shifter would be when it is in drive in the picture. I've never seen a WK2 that you push it forward or backwards to shift like you describe. Move this shifter forward and you are in neutral!!

jgrimberg1979 02-10-2014 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5.7summit (Post 971692)
Are you talking about a WK2 or WK1? My 2012 5 speed you just put it in drive and anytime in drive you could push the shifter left or right to engage Autostick. Left was for downshift and right was for upshift. You can see the plus & minus signs where the shifter would be when it is in drive in the picture. I've never seen a WK2 that you push it forward or backwards to shift like you describe. Move this shifter forward and you are in neutral!!

I think he is referring to using the paddles to shift back into automatic.. Yes you can use the shifter nob to get back in to automatic but from what I am reading in the previous posts is that you can also use the paddles to shift back from manual to automatic by using the right paddle (holding it in for +2 seconds)

canis 02-10-2014 02:26 PM

On a related note, I believe you can hold the left paddle (-) for a brief moment and it will double-downshift.