Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Having a hitch installed... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/having-a-hitch-installed-60206.html)

RacerX7624 05-19-2013 06:47 AM

Having a hitch installed...
 
Would a new rear bumper piece need to be installed for the hitch to be installed? When I see them installed the plastic piece on the bumper always looks different obviously because there is a hitch sticking out the middle of it... lol

RageOfFury 05-19-2013 07:41 AM

Re: Having a hitch installed...
 
If you go for the Mopar hitch, then you (or the dealer) cuts out a part of the existing bumper and installs a trim piece.

I highly recommend the Mopar hitch due to how it blends in nicely with the vehicle. Aftermarket hitches drop down under the bumper and look hideous in my opinion.

RacerX7624 05-19-2013 08:14 AM

Re: Having a hitch installed...
 
I agree. I'd do the mopar hitch. It's the cutting of existing bumper that makes me hesitant. But I'm sure I'd just need to see it.

Captain_Kirk 05-19-2013 10:21 AM

Re: Having a hitch installed...
 
Does the trim piece match the existing color or is it a standard black? I'd like to install it but only if it matches my "True Blue" bumper!

sndrsk 05-20-2013 12:46 PM

Re: Having a hitch installed...
 
How much does the OEM Mopar hitch set you back? And I don't have the tow prep group, so are they going to put one of those little dinky baby receivers on?

PB617 05-20-2013 09:27 PM

Re: Having a hitch installed...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sndrsk (Post 826141)
How much does the OEM Mopar hitch set you back? And I don't have the tow prep group, so are they going to put one of those little dinky baby receivers on?

I'm also thinking of doing the OEM Mopar hitch. Anybody have the dealer install it after they bought their jeeps? Might be worth buying it and DIY...I saw it as a $795 option on the jeep site which is way too much.

loveracing1988 05-21-2013 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PB617 (Post 826353)
I'm also thinking of doing the OEM Mopar hitch. Anybody have the dealer install it after they bought their jeeps? Might be worth buying it and DIY...I saw it as a $795 option on the jeep site which is way too much.

That $795 isn't just for the hitch. It is for the heavy duty cooling, bigger alternator, load leveling shocks, full size spare tire, and the hitch itself along with the wiring. To have a dealer install the hitch and wiring and activate the wiring yo are looking at almost that much. To have the wiring activated requires a trip to the dealer no matter what and most dealers want a hours worth of labor to do it.

PB617 05-21-2013 03:38 PM

Re: Having a hitch installed...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by loveracing1988 (Post 826428)
That $795 isn't just for the hitch. It is for the heavy duty cooling, bigger alternator, load leveling shocks, full size spare tire, and the hitch itself along with the wiring. To have a dealer install the hitch and wiring and activate the wiring yo are looking at almost that much. To have the wiring activated requires a trip to the dealer no matter what and most dealers want a hours worth of labor to do it.

Got it, i had actually seen that list but i thought that was another pkg, my mistake. That seems like a good deal for $795 then. All i really need is the two hitch since i won't be towing anything other then a bike rack.

sndrsk 07-09-2013 11:56 PM

Re: Having a hitch installed...
 
Dealer quoted me at $495 for parts and labor -- hitch and wiring. I'm gonna try to get it in next week.

bigpappy33 07-10-2013 08:45 PM

Re: Having a hitch installed...
 
Mine was pre wired and I just bought the hitch and installed it myself. I got the mopar hitch and the connector for around 200 bucks. I posted a thread about it in here a few days ago.

hawada 07-13-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpappy33 (Post 856189)
Mine was pre wired and I just bought the hitch and installed it myself. I got the mopar hitch and the connector for around 200 bucks. I posted a thread about it in here a few days ago.

Aren't they all pre-wired and the wires are hidden in the rear bumper ?

Ricko 07-13-2013 09:19 AM

Re: Having a hitch installed...
 
My dealer quoted me $631 for everything. I have a 2013 and it is not pre-wired


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community