Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Dog Ramp? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/dog-ramp-60261.html)

jbradle7 05-20-2013 02:17 PM

Dog Ramp?

Hey guys,

I have two large German Shepherds and need a way to get them up into the rear hatch area without breaking my back. Anyone have a recommendation for a good dog ramp?

Thanks in advance!
J

bill_de 05-20-2013 02:19 PM

Re: Dog Ramp?

A motorcycle ramp should work. Or, unless they are old, teach them to jump. :)

---

padgett 05-20-2013 02:46 PM

Most motorcycle ramps are slats with openings between.

Discount Dog Ramps - $59.99 & Up

visitador 05-20-2013 03:27 PM

We use the Solvit telescoping pet ramp to get our Golden Retriever up into the GC. It was bought at Pet Food Express, though I think it is also available at PETCO.

Very light weight. We store it in the back seat area when not in use. Just a note, get your dogs used to it before hand by having them walk on it. The first couple of times, you may have to lead your dogs up the ramp. Our Golden got used to it right away.
Pet Food Express: Solvit Delux Telescoping Pet Ramp

costas 05-20-2013 04:03 PM

Attachment 24060
Quote:

Originally Posted by visitador (Post 826202)
We use the Solvit telescoping pet ramp to get our Golden Retriever up into the GC. It was bought at Pet Food Express, though I think it is also available at PETCO.

Very light weight. We store it in the back seat area when not in use. Just a note, get your dogs used to it before hand by having them walk on it. The first couple of times, you may have to lead your dogs up the ramp. Our Golden got used to it right away.

My Labrador did not like it at all so the ramp sitting in the garage. The angle is to steep.
Thank God she only 24 kilos and I m still fit to carry her.

kbre 05-20-2013 04:03 PM

I built my own "Ottostep" out of wood.
My hitch is a Draw-Tite which is a little bit lower than factory. The step I built works great, it splits the distance in half for my dogs. They have no problem getting in and out.

Dog step - The travel-easy Otto Step prevents injury to your dog entering a van, truck, or SUV!

jbradle7 05-20-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by padgett (Post 826195)
Most motorcycle ramps are slats with openings between. Discount Dog Ramps - $59.99 & Up

Good link, thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by visitador (Post 826202)

Quote:

Originally Posted by costas (Post 826224)
Attachment 24060

My Labrador did not like it at all so the ramp sitting in the garage. The angle is to steep.
Thank God she only 24 kilos and I m still fit to carry her.

The Solvit looks pretty nice... maybe the XL version would work better though since it is longer than the Delux and would give less incline.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbre (Post 826225)
I built my own "Ottostep" out of wood.
My hitch is a Draw-Tite which is a little bit lower than factory. The step I built works great, it splits the distance in half for my dogs. They have no problem getting in and out.

Dog step - The travel-easy Otto Step prevents injury to your dog entering a van, truck, or SUV!

Very cool, I like the hitch receiver step idea but one of my dogs is 12 and has trouble with steps these days so that one is probably out as a option.

Thanks for the ideas and quick responses everyone, much appreciated!

BobT 05-20-2013 06:22 PM

I'm surprised! I can't stop my dog from jumping in, ramp or no ramp. Try throwing a chop in the back.

Mmflpa 07-07-2014 04:48 PM

Just wondering if anyone has tried any newer pet ramps since this post was created. My dog needs ACL surgery and I want to get a ramp for him while he recovers

costas 07-07-2014 05:11 PM

Hi
Sorry to hear about your dog. My lab still refuses to go to the boot with any sort of ramp. I bought one and i put it straight to the skip.
I think the best is if you know any joiner/carpenter to make one for you or to
have a dog ramp demonstration with your dog present.
Good luck

Vrrooom 07-07-2014 07:03 PM

My dog jumps in and out. However for the times that he's tired or jumping in is a bad idea, I just have him out his front paws up and then lift his butt up and he goes in. It's easier this way as then it feels like I'm only lifting maybe 30 lbs. He weighs 100.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

tony4311 07-07-2014 07:06 PM

This is what I use for my Rotty. Amazon.com : Pet Gear Tri-Fold Pet Ramp for cats and dogs up to 200-pounds, Grey : Automotive Pet Ramps : Pet Supplies

I cover it in a towel and put it behind the front seat. It's got grip tape so I don't want it to damage the seat. Works well.