Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Need advice from you HID installers... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/need-advice-from-you-hid-installers-60266.html)

peejym 05-20-2013 04:42 PM

Need advice from you HID installers...

I got my kit this past Thursday and saturday I had everything off the jeep ready for install (air box, plate infront of the fuse box) and then I chickened out! the driver's side bulb came out no problem but that wire is very, very short. The passenger's side I could not even begin to twist out, my hands are not small and the room there even after removing the plate infront of the fuse box is like non existent, was the jeep designed in the USA or Asia??:lol:

I have the xtreme HID kit from xenondepot, I started to connect the harness outside so i could get a feel for what it would look like connected before I placed into the jeep and reading the instructions i noticed that the CBFix might require a polarity switch on the connectors to work properly and failure to follow this change can result in a capacitor explosion :eek:, so I stop for that reason. First I could not tell which was positive and which was negative by looking at the stock cable which connects to the bulb, I did not want to reconnect the batt cable to poke in there with a meter. Looking at the stock bulb I could not tell either.

The other factor that stopped me from installing this kit was the cup type cover that goes behind the bulb housing, seems nikon858 has cut a hole on this cap for re-installation. The extreme kit does come with a rubber plug as well which the wires run through.

My worry is that once I install everything the wire inside the housing have now doubled and I am afraid the heat will burn through or melt this stuff in there.

So the help I need is:
Does the plastic cover need to be reinstalled or can I run without it?
And has anyone installed the CBFix from xenondepot without having to mess with the polarity change?

I am very close to returning the kit, thank you in advance for your reply.

nikon858 05-20-2013 06:00 PM

I've had no problems thus far with the way I did it with a hole and grommet in the cap, not sure if it was necessary or not but it only took a couple extra minutes to do. If your worried about heat from the wiring, turn your lights on and after a couple minutes put your fingers on the wires. I'm guessing you won't feel any difference. The engine produces more radiant heat than the electrical system will and I can only assume the headlamp housing was built to withstand the heat. Don't chicken out, just do it :)

And as far as polarity is concerned. The black wire is negative. The other color is positive. Just match the wire colors and you'll be fine.

peejym 05-20-2013 09:56 PM

Re: Need advice from you HID installers...

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon858 (Post 826257)
I've had no problems thus far with the way I did it with a hole and grommet in the cap, not sure if it was necessary or not but it only took a couple extra minutes to do. If your worried about heat from the wiring, turn your lights on and after a couple minutes put your fingers on the wires. I'm guessing you won't feel any difference. The engine produces more radiant heat than the electrical system will and I can only assume the headlamp housing was built to withstand the heat. Don't chicken out, just do it :)

And as far as polarity is concerned. The black wire is negative. The other color is positive. Just match the wire colors and you'll be fine.

Thanks Nikon, unfortunately the stock wires coming from the headlights have only one color brown for both wires, cant tell which is positive and which is negative. Bulb has no markings as well.

loveracing1988 05-21-2013 12:25 AM

If you have a test light you can use that, I was going to take a picture but I forgot to before I stuffed all the latest stuff back down in there. I had a capacitor explode on me, it wasn't pretty...

peejym 05-25-2013 02:08 AM

Re: Need advice from you HID installers...

So tonight I finally went ahead and installed the HID kit, by the way the cable did need to be reversed for polarity it was incorrect. :eek:

Took me a total of 4 hours, and that was just routing and mounting cables/relays.