Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   2014 white srt owners please read (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/2014-white-srt-owners-please-read-60287.html)

14StormTrooper 05-21-2013 12:17 AM

2014 white srt owners please read

I think I have found an issue with the white paint on the plastic and tire shine. Solvent based tire shine stains the paint where is flies off your tire and lands. If you have a white one please check to see if you have brownish/ orange spots. I have been told it is rail dust and I know for a fact it is not. I had a detailing chemical guy look at my Jeep and he said they had a problem with GM white vehicles a while back with solvent based tire shine staining the plastic on vehicles. You must use WATER BASED tire shine. I had my new truck detailed and the place used a solvent based and where I wiped off black tire shine splatters now lays brownish orange stains. I have had it buffed, clayed and everything else in the book and nothing will take it off. The chemical guy told me to give it time and the sun would bleach out the marks. Just letting any white owners know the issues I am having so you can look out. This is the second white 2014 SRT I know of to have this issue.

Red Suns 05-21-2013 12:30 AM

Re: 2014 white srt owners please read

Out of curiosity, what solvent based tire shine happened to lead to your brownish orange stains?

Scottina06 05-21-2013 12:35 AM

can we see some pics?

mjw930 05-21-2013 07:02 AM

It's even more insidious with the stock tires since the sidewalls have a vertical pattern that holds the tire black material even after you wipe the tires down. I refused delivery of my black SRT until the detail shop completely removed the gunk they slapped on the tires and I never use tire black, it's simply not needed. Just scrub the tires with a soapy brush to get rid of the dirt and they stay looking fine.

I had the same problem 13 years ago with a white Ford Lightning. Ever since then I stopped using tire black or any tire treatment. The compound already has UV inhibitors in it and I don't keep tires on the vehicle long enough to have UV issues anyway ;)

Bostondan77 05-21-2013 07:30 AM

Another member on here brought his back to the dealer it turned out to be a tire solution that was bad for the paint and they stated they swapped out his jeep

Bostondan77 05-21-2013 07:32 AM

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/dealer...one-60157.html
here's the link

tblountman 05-21-2013 08:54 AM

Agreed....I have been using Adam's VRT water based tire dressing for quite some time and have had no issues. I am quite anal about new car deliveries and typically don't let anyone at the dealership touch my cars.

Lankness 05-21-2013 02:45 PM

Old school Armor All is water-based as well. Hell, it will even freeze if you put in the freezer.

bill_de 05-21-2013 02:54 PM

The OP titled. This 'white srt owners...'

Does the srt have special white paint, or doesn't the OP care about the rest of the white GCs?

---

TotalInferno 05-21-2013 09:13 PM

The srt has plastic painted fender flares. Which I believe is not on the other jeeps

Jeff_Jeske 05-23-2013 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 826762)
The OP titled. This 'white srt owners...'

Does the srt have special white paint, or doesn't the OP care about the rest of the white GCs?

---

I think he is racist and only wants white guys in this thread! Oh I'm just kidding!

Schleprock 05-24-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostondan77 (Post 826504)
Another member on here brought his back to the dealer it turned out to be a tire solution that was bad for the paint and they stated they swapped out his jeep

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostondan77 (Post 826505)

Look at the name of the person you are talking about, and the person who started this thread ;)

Like Scott said, post pics so we can see and provide input. Although screw ups happen on all levels, I'm finding it difficult to believe off the cuff that a tire shine is going to damage paint. Between the testing the tire shine manufacturer has done in order to NOT be sued for this type of action, plus the research done by paint manufacturers, and Jeeps painting process, it would definitely be an unlucky alignment of misfortunes.

EDIT: just did a little research. Seems there is evidence of this across many cars with different products, but it isn't consistent. Meaning, not everyone who uses the same product is getting the problem, only a select few here and there. If one person's paint is damaged because of product X, then all of the people who use that product should see some issue (or at least "many" of them). Doesn't seem that way. Not to mention, the plastic pieces are painted with the same products as the metal pieces and the difference in reaction is odd.