Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Stripping, polishing, clearcoating wheels? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/stripping-polishing-clearcoating-wheels-6029.html)

NHWK05 01-30-2010 09:41 AM

Stripping, polishing, clearcoating wheels?

How hard would it be? Ive use air craft stripper on wheels before and it takes about an hour per wheel to do a nice job. But how hard would it be to strip painted wheels 1 wheel at a time, polish them to a nice shine and then clear coat them?

I was thinking of doing this with my JK wheels. The only reason i dont like them is that they are the painted version and not the machined finish.

So my thought was, this summer, swap out each wheel one at a time with my spare, and strip and polish and clear coat them or have them professionally clear coated.

Thoughts?

LTrainGC 01-30-2010 09:56 AM

Re: Stripping, polishing, clearcoating wheels?

The way I read this is you want to strip the paint off of them and then polish them? I'm not sure what the surface looks like under the painted surface.

NHWK05 01-30-2010 10:02 AM

Yes i do. The last wheel i stripped was not perfect under the paint but once polished it should come up to a really nice shine. I used to polish stuff aluminum parts at an old job so i think a drill and some attachments and some elbow grease will do the trick. my biggest concern is getting a good clear coat on it.

robpp 01-30-2010 11:35 AM

have a pro do the clear. they even have clear powdercoat.........

Scottina06 01-30-2010 01:00 PM

I would wait for the wheels to pop up somewhere bro...

you would need to buy a few tools to do it IMO. Maybe some sort of grinder etc. Plus the cost of all the pads etc.

NHWK05 01-30-2010 05:43 PM

It was just an idea i was pondering so i figured i would ask you gents about it. i deff agree a professional job on the clear would need to be done in order for it to look right and last long. Thanks for the info peeps.

Scottina06 01-30-2010 05:51 PM

I think....I know you could do it. But it would be a lot of work and you'd prolly have to buy some tools and different pads!

Try it and then let a pro do the clear in the PPG cerami-clear

NHWK05 01-30-2010 09:24 PM

That would be dooable, but if i "try" it then i will buy a 5th wheel off ebay and use that as the guinea pig before i start fooling with the 4 on the jeep. My spare is still a stock Ronin II wheel.