Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Factory Speaker Impedance (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/factory-speaker-impedance-60323.html)

sswails 05-21-2013 08:16 PM

Factory Speaker Impedance

Alpine System. I was messing around with my meter and decided to check the resistance value. Here is what I got.
Center speaker appears to be 2 ohm ( 2.1 )
Front 6x9's tested at 2 ohm (2.1 )
Front Tweeter tested at 6 ohm ( 6.1 )
Factory Sub tested at Dual 2 ohm ( 2.2 )

joyfil2001 05-25-2013 12:04 PM

Re: Factory Speaker Impedance

Good info to know here. So if anyone wanted to simply swap out speakers, aftermarket speakers are 4 ohm. In a sense, you would be cutting the watts in half I believe.

sswails 05-25-2013 12:27 PM

Yes, unless the amp is rated the same 2ohm or 4ohm. I'm guessing that the amp is not.

joyfil2001 05-25-2013 12:29 PM

I doubt it.

I have a question on the subwoofer. What does dual 2 ohm actually mean? Could you replace it with a 4 ohm sub?

sswails 05-25-2013 12:35 PM

Dual 2ohm means it has two sets of positive and negative to the voice coil. When ran in parallel it would be at 1ohm. Yes, a single 4ohm would work as that's what I installed the first round ( JL Audio W3v.3 ). I would look for DVC 2ohm or DVC 4ohm. The factory enclosure is a joke...so if you use it, you will need to stiffen it up. I used several...several layers of bedliner spray.

sswails 05-25-2013 12:37 PM

Car Alarm, Car Stereo, Mobile Video, and Cruise Control Info for Installers
Basic Car Audio Electronics

Two of my old favorite sites.

joyfil2001 05-25-2013 12:45 PM

I actually like my factory Alpine system. I think my sub has quite a bit of bass. I actually had to turn the bass down -3 in the factory EQ settings. This is with the 430N. Now my friend has the 730N. We did a side by side comparison and his bass was non-existent. How can two factory systems be so different?

sswails 05-25-2013 12:45 PM

Here is a really good read. Stephen is a good dude, but doesn't have much of a personality.

http://www.zedaudiocorp.com/pdfs/ZedManual-2012.pdf

sswails 05-25-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joyfil2001 (Post 829130)
I actually like my factory Alpine system. I think my sub has quite a bit of bass. I actually had to turn the bass down -3 in the factory EQ settings. This is with the 430N. Now my friend has the 730N. We did a side by side comparison and his bass was non-existent. How can two factory systems be so different?

Probably in the settings. I've noticed that if you fade towards the front, that you will lose some bass output. I've also noticed that if you raise the Treble that it also loses some bass output. Probably something designed into the amps. My guess is that it pulls the bass region from the rear channels of the factory head unit. As you fade it towards the front you lose output to the rears which affects the sub. Just guessing though.

sswails 05-25-2013 12:52 PM

The factory Alpine system is decent considering. If I decide to go all out, I'm keeping the head unit and using a processor ( Audison BitOne, Arc Audio PS8, Rockfords 3sixty.3 ) or something similar. You can then de-equalize the system and start from scratch. I've done it multiple times.....best way to IMHO. This way you won't lose any factory functionality from the system.

joyfil2001 05-25-2013 12:54 PM

I checked his settings. Everything was set to zero. Even if I turn his bass to max, it still doesn't compare to my sub. Maybe something is loose?

sswails 05-25-2013 12:57 PM

Knowing Jeeps quality, probably one voice coil is not attached or they have it out of phase.