Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   Is an SCT tune worth it on a stock Jeep? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/is-an-sct-tune-worth-it-on-a-stock-jeep-60324.html)

Evan5469 05-21-2013 08:16 PM

Is an SCT tune worth it on a stock Jeep?

I've been trying to read up on Flyin' Ryan Performances' SCT tunes. I have a completely stock 4.7 H.O. in my Jeep and I'm wondering if a tune would be worth doing? The only other mod I'm considering, performance wise, is one of Flyin' Ryan's ported throttle bodies. Don't get me wrong, I love the way my Jeep drives but I can't leave any car that I own alone :D. Also, my reason for doing a tune is to get better performance, but more so for better gas mileage as it is my daily and I drive a lot.

Gus9890 05-22-2013 10:05 AM

Re: Is an SCT tune worth it on a stock Jeep?

If you're going with a ported TB go ahead and have it tuned since those are the only two mods you're thinking about doing for performance and mileage.

DeucesALLin 02-04-2014 05:32 PM

Yes.

I dont know about this Flyin Ryan guy, or havnt even considered a TB at this point, but I can say this:

My 2002 NON-HO chirps 31.5" ATPs on dry pavement with the MILAGE tune. I can only imagine if I would have gotten the HO.

Timmy D 02-04-2014 07:13 PM

Re: Yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeucesALLin (Post 970542)
I dont know about this Flyin Ryan guy, or havnt even considered a TB at this point, but I can say this:

My 2002 NON-HO chirps 31.5" ATPs on dry pavement with the MILAGE tune. I can only imagine if I would have gotten the HO.

My stock HO does that daily :)

DeucesALLin 02-06-2014 11:12 PM

Re: Yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timmy D (Post 970598)
My stock HO does that daily :)

...cool story. Except a stock WJ can't fit those meats. I actually don't remember my HO chirping between shifts...and that wasn't stock. Maybe yours is an HIGHER OUTPUT HO? The HOHO? LOL

JEEP WAVE.

Timmy D 02-07-2014 01:16 AM

No I just have standard roadies fitted ATM, looking at a tune ASAP to wear them down to justify to the finance department the need for new rubber :D

DeucesALLin 02-07-2014 01:24 AM

Check out those ATPs...like wildpeaks except more aggressive.

Timmy D 02-07-2014 01:27 AM

Never heard of those over here in Australia, got a link I'll check em out :)

JeepFreak12 02-07-2014 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan5469 (Post 826935)
I've been trying to read up on Flyin' Ryan Performances' SCT tunes. I have a completely stock 4.7 H.O. in my Jeep and I'm wondering if a tune would be worth doing? The only other mod I'm considering, performance wise, is one of Flyin' Ryan's ported throttle bodies. Don't get me wrong, I love the way my Jeep drives but I can't leave any car that I own alone :D. Also, my reason for doing a tune is to get better performance, but more so for better gas mileage as it is my daily and I drive a lot.

Tunes always help. I dont think Ryan is porting at the moment tho. But check out fastman throttle bodys, they might have something that will work for your 04. I would also look into a K&N cold air intake and at least a higher flowing muffler. You will be surprised at how much better the performance is with those few mods.

DeucesALLin 02-07-2014 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timmy D (Post 971808)
Never heard of those over here in Australia, got a link I'll check em out :)

Sorry buddy- It is COOPER TIRES, they are a house brand of Discount Tire. I local-to-me chain that is renown for honoring replacement and free flats/balancings. They rotate 5 tire/4 wheel combo every 750 miles- FOR FREE!

ANyway- doesnt help you. I would be more interested in hearing what you guys are running out there, depending on how rural your dirving is. I know HERE, alot of Land Rover/Disco guys are using this brand,

Timmy D 02-07-2014 09:32 PM

I see a lot of BF Goodrich and Mickey Thompsons as well as Coopers on rigs out here. Asking what's the better tyre to go for results in a mixed bag of replies, and I'm left scratching my head... I guess it's just a personal preference although a lot of guys rate a tyre purely because of the brand as opposed to performance. (sorry to hijack this thread)

As was mentioned above ill prob do the exhaust before getting a tune..

DeucesALLin 02-08-2014 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan5469 (Post 826935)

...I dont even think it is an option. I use a revised Superchips that I like, but it is by no means a "on-the-fly" system. My Banks 6-Shooter seemed low tech in comparison, but at least I could instantly change tunes.

I think I would be better off looking for a local tuner.