Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   FYI on Temperature Gauge (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/fyi-on-temperature-gauge-60329.html)

mzimm88 05-21-2013 10:12 PM

FYI on Temperature Gauge

Hi all,

First post here, but I've seen a lot of people talking about problems with their temperature gauges don't update and aren't working properly. I noticed this too and when I brought my 2014 Limited in to have the tow package installed, I had the techs look at that too.

They did some research and our gauges are all working as intended. The service manual says the temperature gauges won't update unless the car has been off for 4.5 hours or drives for 5 minutes at speeds over 40mph.

After I saw that, I tested their information and it all checks out. My temp gauge updated at exactly those points. So, if you have a short commute, you might not see your gauge update very often.

I hope this helps someone.

not_too_shabby 05-22-2013 07:24 AM

Re: FYI on Temperature Gauge

Is this engine temperature or outside temperature you are referring to?

mzimm88 05-22-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by not_too_shabby (Post 827088)
Is this engine temperature or outside temperature you are referring to?

Outside temp.

GCLimited 05-22-2013 10:36 AM

Thanks for the info...good to know!

:thumbsup:

not_too_shabby 05-22-2013 10:47 AM

When I noticed this problem it has been during lunch which often is less than 4.5 hours after I get to work. This may explain the issue for me as well. Thanks although I can't say I understand why it operates like this. My other vehicles report the correct temperature regardless of how long the vehicle has been off or on. It looks pretty dumb to have your car say it's 50 outside when it's 70.

mzimm88 05-22-2013 10:53 AM

Going to lunch is exactly what made me think I had a problem. The explanation in the service manual literally said it was designed this way to avoid confusion :confused:. I guess there are some people dumb enough to think the world is ending when their temp gauge reads 130 degrees from the car sitting and the engine heating the sensor...

Scott18 05-22-2013 01:25 PM

Hi, this is my first post. But I also went to lunch today and noticed the temp gauge was way off. Thanks for your help.

rcz22 05-22-2013 01:37 PM

wow thanks for this, I've experience the same issue. The other day I parked, but only for an hour, got back in (outside temp was really 60 degrees) but the car read 110, so all sorts of AC and seat cooling activated since Auto kicked in. Glad to know the reason behind this.

Northland 05-22-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcz22 (Post 827242)
wow thanks for this, I've experience the same issue. The other day I parked, but only for an hour, got back in (outside temp was really 60 degrees) but the car read 110, so all sorts of AC and seat cooling activated since Auto kicked in. Glad to know the reason behind this.

Huh?? The outside temp isn't connected to your inside climate control - you must have left the auto climate control setting way low for all the A/C and seat cooling to kick in when you started it. And where exactly did you see a temp of 110 displayed after being parked in only 60 degree weather for an hour? Do you have a '14?

bill_de 05-22-2013 03:11 PM

Mine did that one day while I was driving. The display went over 110 and then came back down to 67. I just took it as one more Jeep surprise. :)

---

rcz22 05-22-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northland (Post 827270)
Huh?? The outside temp isn't connected to your inside climate control - you must have left the auto climate control setting way low for all the A/C and seat cooling to kick in when you started it. And where exactly did you see a temp of 110 displayed after being parked in only 60 degree weather for an hour? Do you have a '14?

yeah i completely agree that this is insane...the auto climate is set to 70 degrees. The 110 showed up on the uconnect screen like it normally does. Every 2-3mins it would update and lower itself by like 5 degrees until it reached the 60 degrees that my phone weather app displayed. and yes i have a '14 overland....

Northland 05-22-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mzimm88 (Post 826994)
Hi all,

First post here, but I've seen a lot of people talking about problems with their temperature gauges don't update and aren't working properly. I noticed this too and when I brought my 2014 Limited in to have the tow package installed, I had the techs look at that too.

They did some research and our gauges are all working as intended. The service manual says the temperature gauges won't update unless the car has been off for 4.5 hours or drives for 5 minutes at speeds over 40mph.

After I saw that, I tested their information and it all checks out. My temp gauge updated at exactly those points. So, if you have a short commute, you might not see your gauge update very often.

I hope this helps someone.

Very good info; thanks! I'm one that's been complaining about the inaccurate temp display - but most of my trips are short and under 40 mph, so this explains why I never see an accurate outside temp most of the time. I've also noticed it becomes more accurate on highway trips; just figured the Jeep liked the open road and everything was working better. :lol: I wholeheartedly agree with not_too_shabby, however; the car looks pretty dumb displaying 50 degrees when it's 70 (or 80) outside. This is the only car I've ever had that didn't have an accurate outside temp display 100% of the time, and it's pretty disappointing that Jeep can't do what Kia mastered years ago.