Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   2014 Overland vs. 2012 SRT (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/2014-overland-vs-2012-srt-60340.html)

JeepGCOverland 05-22-2013 09:20 AM

2014 Overland vs. 2012 SRT
 
I have a 2014 Overland on order, but am having second thoughts on passing on the SRT. I can get a 2012 SRT for ~48K, which is not much more than my Overland. I want to know how significant the performance upgrade is from the 5.7L with the 8-speed to the 6.4L with the 5-speed, and if that upgrade is worth the downgrade in electronics. There are not any 2012-2013 SRTs I can test drive in my area. The one I would buy is not in my area, but can be shipped for $700, which is not bad.

Thanks!

jeep2011 05-22-2013 09:33 AM

Re: 2014 Overland vs. 2012 SRT
 
It would not be worth it to me. Gaining 2 seconds 0-60 is not worth the downgrade to an older, decontented GC.

Jeff_H2O 05-22-2013 09:49 AM

Re: 2014 Overland vs. 2012 SRT
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep2011 (Post 827136)
It would not be worth it to me. Gaining 2 seconds 0-60 is not worth the downgrade to an older, decontented GC.

I agree! How many miles are on the 2012 SRT??? That would make a huge difference to me.

Ex: A Brand New 2014 Overland with new stylish looks and updated interior and newer technology or a 2012 SRT probably over half way through it's warranty that only boasts a couple more seconds faster 0-60. I'd take the Overland.

Plus, unless you are going to be in the "Need for Speed" every second, you'd probably find yourself not needing that 2 seconds of extra power all the time anyways.

The SRT's are really nice! But for the trade off in what your giving/getting, I think the Overland would still be my choice if doing that.

ms.annthrope 05-22-2013 09:52 AM

Re: 2014 Overland vs. 2012 SRT
 
How many time are you going to burn rubber from a stoplight? Let's be honest now. How many times will you pull .90g turning making that left or right turn in a 4 way intersection? Do you enjoy buying entire sets of tires every 12 months because those high performance rubber only lasts 25,000 miles? ($300+ x4) Are you really going to street race everytime some puink wiht some hotrod pulls up, honks, and challenges you? Will you really be doing 95-100 mph whne you're gridlocked on the commute?

I'd keep the Overland. For those of us who are old enough to remember Gilligan's Island, Ginger's the toy, MaryAnne's the keeper.

JeepGCOverland 05-22-2013 11:57 AM

Re: 2014 Overland vs. 2012 SRT
 
The SRT only has 20,000 miles on it. I'm going to stick with the Overland for now. When I think about it, I don't really want to sacrifice the off-road performance for the ~1.5 second faster the SRT goes 0-60. I also love the look and content of the 2014s. I could upgrade to the 2014 SRT, but won't, for all the reasons listed above, and even though I could, the fact that I don't really want to spend an extra $20,000. Thanks guys. I guess I knew the right decision all along, but needed you guys to fully convince myself that I don't need the SRT.

Scottina06 05-22-2013 01:07 PM

The SRT's hold their value much much better in the long run. If u plan on keeping it 2-3 years think about that.

Specx 05-22-2013 03:54 PM

Re: 2014 Overland vs. 2012 SRT
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ms.annthrope (Post 827143)
How many time are you going to burn rubber from a stoplight? Let's be honest now. How many times will you pull .90g turning making that left or right turn in a 4 way intersection? Do you enjoy buying entire sets of tires every 12 months because those high performance rubber only lasts 25,000 miles? ($300+ x4) Are you really going to street race everytime some puink wiht some hotrod pulls up, honks, and challenges you? Will you really be doing 95-100 mph whne you're gridlocked on the commute?

I'd keep the Overland. For those of us who are old enough to remember Gilligan's Island, Ginger's the toy, MaryAnne's the keeper.

Damn! Now you sold me on a an SRT. I see myself doing all of those everytime I drive :D

ms.annthrope 05-22-2013 03:58 PM

Re: 2014 Overland vs. 2012 SRT
 
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/mp/jWrW7IxsBZdl.jpg

Ginger then, Ginger now. I hope the SRT holds up better than Ginger.

Shaggy1 05-22-2013 07:22 PM

Re: 2014 Overland vs. 2012 SRT
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ms.annthrope (Post 827310)

Ginger then, Ginger now. I hope the SRT holds up better than Ginger.

It looks like Ginger needs more Botox and collagen injections. I'll have to settle for aftermarket mods for my '12 SRT8.

My srt8 required $1000 worth if rubber, has 20k miles, and gets 12.5 mpg. It still puts a smile on my face everytime I crank it. The beast also holds a car seat well, and I have no problem on dirt roads when I go to the lake.

If you want a nice daily driver with a pleasant disposition, then the 2014 new JC is the perfect vehicle for you. If you need a little more, then go for the SRT.

I would not "upgrade" my SRT to a new Overland, though I will likely trade up to a 2015 or 2016 SRT .

JeepGCOverland 05-22-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaggy1 (Post 827426)

It looks like Ginger needs more Botox and collagen injections. I'll have to settle for aftermarket mods for my '12 SRT8.

My srt8 required $1000 worth if rubber, has 20k miles, and gets 12.5 mpg. It still puts a smile on my face everytime I crank it. The beast also holds a car seat well, and I have no problem on dirt roads when I go to the lake.

If you want a nice daily driver with a pleasant disposition, then the 2014 new JC is the perfect vehicle for you. If you need a little more, then go for the SRT.

I would not "upgrade" my SRT to a new Overland, though I will likely trade up to a 2015 or 2016 SRT .

Thanks for the feedback. Price really isn't a problem (MPG and Tires aren't either), but I cant see myself paying $20,000 extra for a 2014 SRT over the 2014 Overland. At this point, I have decided I like the upgrades in the 2014 enough to sacrifice 1.5 seconds 0-60 over the 2012 SRT, and I'm also not big on buying used. Besides, I still want to offroad some (more than just dirt roads). Maybe when the 2016s come out I'll go for the SRT and get one of the refreshed Wranglers to offroad in. :thumbsup:

dubwarren 05-22-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Specx (Post 827308)
Damn! Now you sold me on a an SRT. I see myself doing all of those everytime I drive :D

Ditto that. Don't get me wrong, I love my overland but my next vehicle is going to be an SRT. And I can't wait...


Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

VermontJGC14 05-23-2013 10:38 AM

Re: 2014 Overland vs. 2012 SRT
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepGCOverland (Post 827447)
Thanks for the feedback. Price really isn't a problem (MPG and Tires aren't either), but I cant see myself paying $20,000 extra for a 2014 SRT over the 2014 Overland. At this point, I have decided I like the upgrades in the 2014 enough to sacrifice 1.5 seconds 0-60 over the 2012 SRT, and I'm also not big on buying used. Besides, I still want to offroad some (more than just dirt roads). Maybe when the 2016s come out I'll go for the SRT and get one of the refreshed Wranglers to offroad in. :thumbsup:

I was also on the fence about whether to get an SRT, and the off-road capabilities were the deciding factor. Living up here in snow country, with the worst-maintained roads in the U.S., it really wasn't much of a decision.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community