Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Towing and Lowering (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/towing-and-lowering-60345.html)

staskaya 05-22-2013 01:41 PM

Lowering and towing

Hi Folks,

I love the way the rides look lowered using Eibach springs. For the folks who have lowered there Jeep are you towing anything at all or folks who have the experience, have any suggestion what I can do ...I've a 19 foot boat and would be awesome if I can too lower the jeep and also be able to tow my boat around when I need to around.

Owner of 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 litter.

Cheers,

staskaya 05-24-2013 10:32 AM

Re: Towing and Lowering

I guess I'm the only person here wants tow and also lowered their vehicle or there isn't any products out there I can use??

Jim_in_PA 05-24-2013 07:54 PM

A large percentage of JGCs with factory towing (desirable if you want to get the full capacities of the vehicle) have quadra-lift. Lowering really isn't an option due to the air suspension.

Willx 05-24-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA (Post 828744)
A large percentage of JGCs with factory towing (desirable if you want to get the full capacities of the vehicle) have quadra-lift. Lowering really isn't an option due to the air suspension.

Yes I tow and I have gone for Air Suspension.

loveracing1988 05-24-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staskaya (Post 828474)
I guess I'm the only person here wants tow and also lowered their vehicle or there isn't any products out there I can use??

Not very many people lower a 4WD in the 1st place, let alone tow with a lowered 4wd.

66 BADBOY 02-23-2014 10:43 AM

Bumping an old thread as I'm wondering the same thing as the OP. Looking to get a 2006 Limited and I eventually I'd like to do some lowering with it if I end up buying it. I have a 4100lb camper trailer that I use twice per year and I'm wondering about bottoming out the rear suspension if I lowered it.

Setoutguy 02-25-2014 10:05 AM

Depends on the springs used. Many lowering springs especially those from Eibach arent as stiff as the OEM and suffer from coil bind and bottoming out.
Not good on a road course and probably not good for towing.

Jms4218 02-25-2014 06:14 PM

Get some airlift 1000 air bags that go inside the coil spring. That way you can be lower and then when u want to tow just add some air. The airlift 1000 only cost around $90.00 and u can 5-35 psi in them. At 5 psi in my truck there is no ride difference. If I'm not mistaken they are rated for 500 lbs each so in total you theatrically you have the ability to haul an extra 1000 lbs and you won't be bottomed out. Obviously the airbags will not increase you towing or hauling capasity but will assist with a weaker rated lowered spring.

toddztoyz 03-03-2014 01:53 AM

Yeah, this is something I have wondered myself! I have a 2wd limited Hemi powered Grand and I would love to level the rear to the front but still be able to tow. I have a car hauler to tow my other toys with.

Jim_in_PA 03-03-2014 09:38 AM

Leveling shouldn't be an issue in my mind...it's not much of change to actual height. It may ever-so-slightly degrade fuel economy, however, because it affects the aerodynamics.