Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Front brake replacement? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/front-brake-replacement-60362.html)

SW03ES 05-22-2013 05:29 PM

Front brake replacement?

I've been having some grinding when braking at highway speeds for the last, oh 6k miles or so. The Jeep is at my mechanic for an oil change and service, its got just shy of 28k miles.

He took it out on the highway and checked it out, felt what I felt. Apparently the rotors are pretty gummed up as are the pads, rotors are scored pretty badly, and there is a ton of corrosion on the hubs, the rotors were actually fused on. We decided the best thing to do was to go ahead and replace the rotors and pads.

Has anybody else had to replace the front brakes on these Jeeps yet? What sort of life did you have? He was really surprised by how bad the rotors were, said it looked like the brakes on a much older vehicle. This is my personal mechanic whom I trust, so I'm not getting screwed around by the dealer.

SW03ES 05-23-2013 08:41 AM

Re: Front brake replacement?

Nobody has any thoughts on brake life?

Ratchet 05-24-2013 06:35 AM

I have almost triple the miles you have and still have plenty of life left on the brakes. Then again, it's very flat where I live and our winters see very little snow thus no road salt.

SW03ES 05-28-2013 06:32 PM

I'd swear I had been taken if it weren't my mechanic who I have used for years, and if I did not see the rotors for myself. They were a mess...

Rynn 05-29-2013 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SW03ES (Post 830595)
I'd swear I had been taken if it weren't my mechanic who I have used for years, and if I did not see the rotors for myself. They were a mess...

Any pictures?

Ahujadaddy 08-07-2013 03:53 PM

Hey, how'd it go with this?

I live in the No.VA area and was experiencing degraded brake performance around 30k, but that went away with replacing tires. I'm at 40k now and feel my braking power going down again. I should take a look sometime.

I'm thinking to DIY next spring.

2012 Summit 08-07-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratchet (Post 828362)
I have almost triple the miles you have and still have plenty of life left on the brakes. Then again, it's very flat where I live and our winters see very little snow thus no road salt.

Almost 84K on original front brakes is very good. You must be doing something right.

Ratchet 08-08-2013 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2012 Summit (Post 871478)
Almost 84K on original front brakes is very good. You must be doing something right.

Up untill a few months ago, I did quite a bit of daily highway driving. I am not an agressive driver. Those days have long gone. Almost at 92K now and still have plenty of pad life remaining. :)

Maliberti 08-10-2013 09:23 AM

No issues on brakes.
I have 52,800 miles on the original front and rear with last measurement at 8mm.

SW03ES 08-10-2013 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahujadaddy (Post 871425)
Hey, how'd it go with this?

Everything is going well now...knock on wood...