Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   FCW - ACC and Collision Mitigation what it is NOT (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/fcw-acc-and-collision-mitigation-what-it-is-not-60369.html)

Willx 05-22-2013 08:20 PM

FCW - ACC and Collision Mitigation what it is NOT

More of a Sticky than anything but as I have seen the comment a few times I wanted to post the following.

Collision Mitigation is NOT designed to stop the vehicle in emergency situations. It is designed to Mitigate a crash, as in SLOW DOWN or REDUCE the severity of a crash.

This system is not designed to take over from your attention driving and under most situations WILL allow you to hit the object. It is designed to reduce injuries by slowing the vehicle and to protect occupants of the vehicle, it will NOT prevent crashes in most situations and will not make it safe to text message and drive.

I just wanted to put this out there as I have now seen two comments that people thought there was a bug in the system because it didn't just take over stopping the vehicle.

Please feel free to ask question about this and I will respond with what I know. As for the ACC and FCW please feel free to ask questions on those too, I have played a fair bit with the 2011 system in the Durango as well as some other manufacturers. The 2014 system in the JGC is a big step up.

Thx.

2012 Summit 05-23-2013 06:34 AM

Re: FCW - ACC and Collision Mitigation what it is NOT

So are you saying we can't take a little nap while driving?

Willx 05-23-2013 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2012 Summit (Post 827664)

:lol: no, I wish! I am usually not that serious but reading what other people were talking about I thought someone might want to explain the difference between mitigation and "crash proof"

Specx 05-24-2013 02:38 PM

How awesome would that be "Jeep, wake me when we get there".

Willx 05-24-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Specx (Post 828619)
How awesome would that be "Jeep, wake me when we get there".

Google car Jeep!

bill_de 05-24-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2012 Summit (Post 827664)

What does taking a nap while driving have to do with ACC and Collision Mitigation? We've been sleeping while driving long before these innovations ... and a good percentage of us managed to survive. :lol:

Willx 05-24-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 828626)

What does taking a nap while driving have to do with ACC and Collision Mitigation? We've been sleeping while driving long before these innovations ... and a good percentage of us managed to survive. :lol:

I am going to post a picture of a vehicle that failed that experiment a little later ;)

Willx 05-24-2013 05:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Don't nap while driving near cliffs that lead to swamps....

2012 Summit 05-24-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

The ACC is a plus for napping, but it seems like the Collision Mitigation would cause a sudden wake up. :)

Lanrete 05-24-2013 07:41 PM

Mine went off yesterday when someone as turning off the feeder road into a parking lot,I was accelerating and going to change lanes to go around them. The car started being and pulsed the brakes aggressively/roughly. It is definitely something that would be very difficult to not notice.

Willx 05-24-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanrete (Post 828734)
Mine went off yesterday when someone as turning off the feeder road into a parking lot,I was accelerating and going to change lanes to go around them. The car started being and pulsed the brakes aggressively/roughly. It is definitely something that would be very difficult to not notice.

Those situations I can see it coming on. Abrupt interuption of your path.

Lanrete 05-24-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willx (Post 828748)

Those situations I can see it coming on. Abrupt interuption of your path.

Exactly, and I saw the situation as a perfect test of the system, usually I just slow down and don't bother going around.