Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   TRANSMISSION OVER TEMP Jeep Grand Cherokee (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/transmission-over-temp-jeep-grand-cherokee-60414.html)

SJeep 05-23-2013 06:08 PM

TRANSMISSION OVER TEMP Jeep Grand Cherokee

Good evening,

I have a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4x4, 3.7.

I was using a few days ago my jeep in the afternoon, in the night I went to turn it on, nothing. The vehicle does absolutely anything when I try to start it. All it does when I take the keys off is a on the dashboard "Transmission over temp". The battery is fine, the transmission is fine, too. I had it checked not too long ago. The vehicle simply wont do anything. Is this a problem with the computer or something?

Thanks in advance

dr.lee.baugh 05-24-2013 08:48 AM

Re: TRANSMISSION OVER TEMP Jeep Grand Cherokee

Despite you saying its not the battery...it really sounds like that's the problem.

How do you know that is not the cause?

SJeep 05-24-2013 08:54 AM

Hey dr.le.baugh,

It is not the battery. I tried three other different batteries, and the issue was still going.

Thanks for your input.

dr.lee.baugh 05-24-2013 12:33 PM

Are any of the interior lights or headlights working?

How do your battery cables look? Ground connection?

The most common cause of erroneous EVIC messages and a failure to crank are low-voltage conditions.

If your interior/exterior lights aren't working, that would be another indicator it is a power issue.

huskyenergy91 05-28-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.lee.baugh (Post 828543)
Are any of the interior lights or headlights working?

How do your battery cables look? Ground connection?

The most common cause of erroneous EVIC messages and a failure to crank are low-voltage conditions.

If your interior/exterior lights aren't working, that would be another indicator it is a power issue.

If you did some research, it is not the battery. Try not to lead the guy in the wrong direction.

To the OP, Im currently getting my Jeep looked at right now, I will keep you posted on what I find out.

hummer recovery team 05-28-2013 08:53 AM

Starter??

huskyenergy91 05-28-2013 09:31 AM

I have the exact same issue. My starter was replaced, as well as the sensor. Still no fix, trying to get more ideas from people. I also have a new battery.

hummer recovery team 05-28-2013 09:51 AM

Clock spring

dr.lee.baugh 05-28-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huskyenergy91 (Post 830288)
If you did some research, it is not the battery. Try not to lead the guy in the wrong direction.

To the OP, Im currently getting my Jeep looked at right now, I will keep you posted on what I find out.

No one is trying to lead anyone in the wrong direction. Based on the symptoms he is describing, it certainly is possible it is the battery (or any of the things I listed).

Apart from my firsthand experience with this when my battery died, previous members have posted no start and faulty DTC symptoms (solved by removing the low voltage condition) like this:

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/servi...elp-31239.html

I gave my honest (and informed) opinion as to what I thought could result in the condition described. Am I right? I have no idea, but I certainly wouldn't be bold enough to say it certainly isn't X or certainly isn't Y without knowing more.

You get what you pay for with these forums...I offer my help, take it or leave it.

huskyenergy91 05-30-2013 10:57 PM

SJeep

I got my Jeep back from the shop. They were able to diagnose my problem. My TCM or Transmission Control Module was syncing in and out. They took it out and hooked it up to their computer and when it stopped working, they would bang it with their hands and it would turn on. They have said they get this quiet often.

I have a new TCM coming on its way. Hopefully this helps you.

dr.lee.baugh 05-31-2013 09:32 AM

I would advise people to pay attention to the circumstances of other's errors before assuming they have a common cause!

The transmission on the 5.7 (that HuskyEnergy91 has) and 3.7 (that SJeep has) are entirely different (r545rfe vs. NAG1) and are run through completely different systems.

The 545RFE DOES NOT have a separate TCM, but rather an integrated PCM. The NAG1 does have a separate transmission control module.

If they have a common fault, it can't possibly be the TCM.

huskyenergy91 05-31-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.lee.baugh (Post 832350)
I would advise people to pay attention to the circumstances of other's errors before assuming they have a common cause!

The transmission on the 5.7 (that HuskyEnergy91 has) and 3.7 (that SJeep has) are entirely different (r545rfe vs. NAG1) and are run through completely different systems.

The 545RFE DOES NOT have a separate TCM, but rather an integrated PCM. The NAG1 does have a separate transmission control module.

If they have a common fault, it can't possibly be the TCM.

They have worked on 5.7, 4.7 and 3.7 engines. The common two issues were the TCM module failing, and the Selenoids.