Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   2014 GC Overland FCW saved me! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/2014-gc-overland-fcw-saved-me-60459.html)

studio1930 05-24-2013 12:58 PM

2014 GC Overland FCW saved me!

I was on my way home in a 40 mph zone taking off from a stop light. I had to turn off the ECO mode so as to not get rear ended. After reaching about 35 mph, I looked down to turn the ECO mode back on (don't want to hit the wrong button and turn off something I need) and within that split second, all traffic came to a halt unbeknownst to me.

Before I got my eyes back on the road, the FCW blasts out BRAKE! BRAKE! BRAKE! :eek: At this point I still had my foot on the gas and before my brain could tell my foot to let off, the Cherokee jerked the brakes. At almost that same time, my brain kicked in and I slammed on the brakes. I must not have hit them hard enough (still had peddle left) as the Cherokee jerked the brakes a bit more. I stopped 1 full car length behind the vehicle in front of me (a large Dodge Ram which I could not see around). The car behind me was lagging a bit so they did not hit me (they probably had eco mode on, LOL).

Apparently a major accident had just happened a few seconds earlier about 10 cars in front of me. Without the FCW system, I would have been a part of it. Of course, without the crappy ECO mode, I would not have been looking away from the road. :( The FCW system definitely did its job and I am thankful for purchasing that option. :thumbsup:

JoeSchmoe007 05-24-2013 01:11 PM

Re: 2014 GC Overland FCW saved me!

Why being in ECO mode would cause you to be rear-ended?

Dabitz 05-24-2013 01:17 PM

It's sarcasm, the truck is very slow in ECO mode. I'm glad for you, it would've been ugly. I don't have this type of feature on my 11 and I can't take my eyes off the road (NJ RT80) for a second in my every day stop and go traffic. Maybe I should trade up for a '14... Nahhh LOL

studio1930 05-24-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 (Post 828568)
Why being in ECO mode would cause you to be rear-ended?

Yep, a bit of sarcasm but not completely. Traffic around here tends to be fast takeoffs from stop lights. I have seen several people almost rear end me as they just don't expect a big, shinny, new GC to be doing 17 mph when everyone else has already reached 35 mph. I have to turn it off or else I have to give it 6" more gas peddle and then rapidly let off when it decided to change back down to 1st gear. :( I don't like to leave Eco mode off since I like the 7th/8th gear gas mileage in town AFTER I am up to speed. It is just that sluggish 1,2,3 gears that Eco mode kills. It would have been nice to have that Eco mode button on the shifter so I wouldn't have to take my eyes off the road.

2012 Summit 05-24-2013 01:41 PM

Moral of the story, keep your eyes on the road. :rolleyes:

AZhiCntry 05-24-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by studio1930 (Post 828578)
Yep, a bit of sarcasm but not completely. Traffic around here tends to be fast takeoffs from stop lights. I have seen several people almost rear end me as they just don't expect a big, shinny, new GC to be doing 17 mph when everyone else has already reached 35 mph. I have to turn it off or else I have to give it 6" more gas peddle and then rapidly let off when it decided to change back down to 1st gear. :( I don't like to leave Eco mode off since I like the 7th/8th gear gas mileage in town AFTER I am up to speed. It is just that sluggish 1,2,3 gears that Eco mode kills. It would have been nice to have that Eco mode button on the shifter so I wouldn't have to take my eyes off the road.

:confused: Learn to use the paddle shifters to get out of and back into Echo mode!

studio1930 05-24-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZhiCntry (Post 828601)
:confused: Learn to use the paddle shifters to get out of and back into Echo mode!

I know how to use them to get out of Eco mode, but I didn't think you could use them to get back into it? How do you use the paddles to get back INTO eco mode?

Icetech 05-24-2013 03:55 PM

Don't use the horrible paddles.. just pull the shifter back once... for sport.. back again for eco...

f1anatic 05-24-2013 05:13 PM

Pressing the eco button is the wrong choice for immediate acceleration zest. Engaging the sport mode is the fastest, one move only action, which allows you to keep eyes on the road.

AZhiCntry 05-24-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by studio1930 (Post 828615)
I know how to use them to get out of Eco mode, but I didn't think you could use them to get back into it? How do you use the paddles to get back INTO eco mode?

If the veh was in Eco it will go back into D/Eco if you hold the + paddle shifter for 2-3 seconds.

Tony407 05-25-2013 02:47 AM

Yay for technology!!!

Tony

Marcodame 05-25-2013 03:36 AM

So happy I got this option , nice tool to have u just never know what can happen at any given moment. Glad it worked out for ya.