Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Talk about a buzz kill! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/talk-about-a-buzz-kill-60467.html)

torifile 05-24-2013 04:59 PM

Talk about a buzz kill!

It is a really nice Friday evening. I had a beer on the way home. Picked up my daughter and we had the sunroof open and the pearl jam Sirius station blasting. I put it in sport mode and got on the gas a little. Rolled into a stop light and got the dreaded "service 4WD" message. Tried to accelerate, but it really wouldn't. Luckily I was able to pull off just past the corner.

Now the truck is making a really rumbily noise and is generally sounding very unhappy. The brake is super hard and shifting into gear is not wise since the brakes are so firm, it won't stop the truck.

I'm also getting a "service electronic throttle" message.

There was a distinct burning smell coming from the truck when I pulled over.

I called the roadside assistance and now I'm just waiting. Bummer. This doesn't sound like the other issues I've heard about with losing power. Hopefully it's a quick fix but I'm not optimistic. Only 1600 miles on her. :(

Icetech 05-24-2013 05:35 PM

Re: Talk about a buzz kill!

Hope it was just the vehicle stopping someone that drinks WHILE They drive.. and with their kid... just awesome....

Bretto 05-24-2013 06:05 PM

I'm reading this a bit to often which is scary.

Really sorry to hear, but I hope they sort it out ASAP. Just be firm about wanting it to be inspected and fixed correctly from the visit 1

Good luck

torifile 05-24-2013 06:06 PM

I wasn't drinking *while* driving! I had a beer after work before picking her up!

Bretto 05-24-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torifile (Post 828697)
I wasn't drinking *while* driving! I had a beer after work before picking her up!

Lol

bill_de 05-24-2013 06:19 PM

I hope this gets taken care of asap.

In the mean time, get your daughter an ice cream cone. You already had your beer. ;)

weck 05-24-2013 07:10 PM

You have a hemi, right?

torifile 05-24-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weck (Post 828719)
You have a hemi, right?

Yup.

weck 05-24-2013 07:42 PM

That's what I thought.. I have pretty much the same on order. Between you and Bill de now starting to have what I consider "real" problems beyond the uconnect teething pains, starting to get nervous...

Getting rid of a Subaru and a Toyota truck, both of which have been problem free, to get a GC, wondering if that is such a good idea now.

AbleRiot 05-24-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weck (Post 828735)
That's what I thought.. I have pretty much the same on order. Between you and Bill de now starting to have what I consider "real" problems beyond the uconnect teething pains, starting to get nervous...

Getting rid of a Subaru and a Toyota truck, both of which have been problem free, to get a GC, wondering if that is such a good idea now.

I hope this issue and most of the safety related ones gets taken care of by the tie I order in the fall. Reading these issues in the smack sample of owners in the forum is enough to have me considering alternative CPO Acura and MB despite being completely sold on the MY14 JGC-my wants are over ridden by my families safety first.

akimball 05-24-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icetech (Post 828679)
Hope it was just the vehicle stopping someone that drinks WHILE They drive.. and with their kid... just awesome....

guy said he had "a" beer which means one. so no need to be an ahole about it!

torifile 05-24-2013 08:51 PM

I didn't feel as though this was an unsafe situation though. The car didn't just die in the middle of the road. I have no doubt I could have driven to safety if I weren't already at a stoplight near a shoulder I could easily pull into.

It does seem as though it is a mechanical issue. The sound the car makes and the fact that it is clearly unhappy running makes me think its not just electrical. And the burning smell. Could be a belt or something?