Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Oil Leak (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/oil-leak-60567.html)

live_life_tb 05-27-2013 06:34 AM

Oil Leak

Got the news I wasn't looking for. The jeep has been leaking oil for the past 2 months. It was just a small drip that appeared from time to time on the driveway. Decided to take it in to have looked out. The service department have found oil leak from the rear main seal*

They now have to take out the entire transmission. Luckily the spare part is available in Australia but it will take a week. Less than 6k and this problem. So annoying because I know that they won't be able to put it back together like they did in factory.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Swampy 05-27-2013 07:59 AM

Re: Oil Leak

Thats disappointing to hear.

Which engine do you have?

live_life_tb 05-27-2013 04:24 PM

CRD

ENFORCER 05-27-2013 05:30 PM

It is better the remove a transmission than a dash. It is a straightforward job and should not result in any change. Just hope there is nothing more major with the RMS as they will not be able to tell until the trans is out.
While it sucks that this work is required, it is not a major job. Should only be a day or 2.

allypally 05-27-2013 06:33 PM

Providing, of course, they refit all of the bolts they remove.

qfinger 06-02-2013 03:55 PM

I have the same oil leak problem, had it for a year now! (My "masculine" WK2 CRD sleeps in the garage with a puppy piddle pad under it to keep the oil of the floor.)

Had it at the dealership about half a dozen times excluding regular services and still not fixed. Dealership not the problem, but the availability of parts. I waited 5 months for the main bearing parts, they did the fix but oil still leaking. Have now been waiting 6 weeks with no end insight for a new set of parts as the plan is now that the problem might be in the turbo cover/ housing.

I'm just astounded that in the age of modern transport that it takes 5 months to get a spare part from the US, when there are thousands of people traveling on 14 hours flights daily on the same route.

Love my Jeep, but the piddle pad in my garage is a joke!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

allypally 06-02-2013 08:13 PM

The problem is Jeep Australia, who refuse to spend an extra cent on ensuring they meet their part supply obligations.

Willx 06-02-2013 08:22 PM

I am not down there but the GM pickups up here needed the rear main many times early on.... Cadillac escalades.... my Mercedes ML. Frankly, as long as it was a good shop usually it was better afterwards (seen them done with 20,000km and five years later with 160k on them and they were good.)

Seal must have been pinched in assembly?

TroyD 06-04-2013 09:16 PM

Had the RMS go on my previous Pathfinder (V6 petrol), ended up with a replacement engine as a rebuild was about the same price and Nissan couldn't get all the parts for at least six weeks. No leaks previously to hint at the problem, let go in traffic one afternoon, wasn't too comforting seeing white smoke coming from under the front guard.

So far no leaks on my CRD though.

live_life_tb 06-15-2013 07:23 PM

Finally got the jeep back after 2 weeks. Lets just hope this was the last of the woes for my beloved CRD.