Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   possible blend door problem (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/possible-blend-door-problem-6058.html)

rlane 01-31-2010 02:00 AM

possible blend door problem

Hello Garage members, I got excellent advice for my first problem, so here I go again. When I turn on the climate control, either heat or a/c, I don't get any forced air coming out of the vents. I can hear the blower working and feel either heated or cooled air trying to come out the vents. Its like all the vents are closed and no matter where I turn the controls, I get no air---defrost, heat, foot, mixed---nothing.

Probably should have mentioned first, I have a 2002 Grand Limited. All the controls worked when I purchased last year. Maybe just a coincidence, but the problem seemed to occur after I had a trailer brake(Prodogy) installed. Is it possible, during the install, some wiring was messed with? Is there a relay or fuse for blend doors? I have heard of some sort of 'heater-fixer' that is installed thru the glove box---anybody?

thanks in advance---you guys are awesome!

just to clarify, I get no air from either side---drivers nor passenger. Also, minutes after the engine is turned off, a loud clicking noise comes from behind the dash.

RobClarksJeeps 01-31-2010 01:21 PM

Re: possible blend door problem

I had the same problem.

There is a small module (black box) located under the glove box. The glove box does not have to be removed. This is unique to WJ's with dual climate control.

Into that box from the back of it is a cable/ wire that the passenger's feet can press against. This causes a short and litterally melts part of this box in the back where the connection is. Wiggle the wires to see if the air blows out. To fix it, unscrew it and look for the melting and or charring near the connection.

If this is the problem, that box will need replacing. I found one fairly cheap at a junk yard, replaced it myself, and it works great now. Just make sure that the replacement box is in perfect shape or you'll waste your money. Also, make passengers aware so they don't press their feet against it! Total expected cost, $50 to $100 yourself, $250 dealership.

4.7ho 02-01-2010 06:35 PM

before going through all that try checking your recirculation door. when it breaks or has broken in ur case since you mention "a loud clicking noise comes from behind the dash", sometimes it falls off the shaft and onto ur blower which limits the blowers output. there are really only a few options to fix this. 1) drop the blower reach in and prop the recirc door in either the closed or open position. 2) drop the blower break the recirc door in half an pull out. 3) pull the dash and replace the recirc door. if you go with option 3 i recommend going here http://blendorstore.com/home and order a replacement and while you're at it you should also get new blend doors and replace those as well. I used the above mentioned products and haven't had a problem yet, best thing is the dash is completly quiet and no more creaking blend doors/recirculation door or worries about them ever breaking again. p.s. you should also check your heater core and your evaporator core while you are in there. O btw here's more info on the subject http://www.wjjeeps.com/hvac_sub_assembly.htm

josef15111 02-02-2010 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobClarksJeeps (Post 141877)
I had the same problem.

There is a small module (black box) located under the glove box. The glove box does not have to be removed. This is unique to WJ's with dual climate control.

Into that box from the back of it is a cable/ wire that the passenger's feet can press against. This causes a short and litterally melts part of this box in the back where the connection is. Wiggle the wires to see if the air blows out. To fix it, unscrew it and look for the melting and or charring near the connection.

If this is the problem, that box will need replacing. I found one fairly cheap at a junk yard, replaced it myself, and it works great now. Just make sure that the replacement box is in perfect shape or you'll waste your money. Also, make passengers aware so they don't press their feet against it! Total expected cost, $50 to $100 yourself, $250 dealership.

plus one on that statement same thing happened to our 01 gc limited thing went out cost like 250 with new harness and box

StoneCold 02-23-2010 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobClarksJeeps (Post 141877)
I had the same problem.

I had same problem, picked up a new resistor motor for 50. Had to buy a new plug too, because the existing one had melted! Simple job to do though:thumbsup: