Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   4.0L excessive lifter tick, high idle and rough time starting when cold. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/4-0l-excessive-lifter-tick-high-idle-and-rough-time-starting-when-cold-60590.html)

fin1211 05-27-2013 05:25 PM

4.0L excessive lifter tick, high idle and rough time starting when cold.

Hi everyone, and happy labor day!

The 4.0L in my '02 JGC, which was purchased December 2012, is acting funny when cold.

During the first oil change, I noticed that the old oil was pretty thick and black, so I've been worrying that either oil was left in the engine for an excessive period of time, or that thick oil was purposely used to cover up an issue.

I've done two oil changes so far, the second with better results. The first one, in March '13, was with Rotella T5 10w-30. Pretty loud lifter tick, which didn't exist before the oil change, and after a week, pretty long period of time before the engine would turn over(talking like 3 seconds). When I decided to change the oil around a month later, with Valvoline Maxlife Nextgen, the Rotella that came out was almost completely opaque. Since putting in the Valvoline, the lifter tick has been slightly quieter, but the 4.0 is still just as difficult to start up under 50 degrees. Never had an instance where the engine wouldn't start up, but it still takes 3-4 seconds to do so. I can take a video of both the cold start up and the lifter tick if you'd like.

Still have pretty minimal motor repair experience, but since summer is coming up, I'd be willing to try an extensive repair myself if need be. Would like to get the motor fixed asap considering how good condition the rest of the vehicle is for having 116,000 miles. Thanks guys, and happy labor day.

Frango100 05-27-2013 05:30 PM

Re: 4.0L excessive lifter tick, high idle and rough time starting when cold.

Does it turn over at a good speed, or is it slow to turn?
Next time try to prime the fuel system first by switching ignition on for 3 secs, off and then on again and start. Let us know if that makes any difference.

fin1211 05-27-2013 07:36 PM

Not exactly sure what you mean by "switching ignition on". Is that the position just before the engine ignites? Where the instrument cluster lights up, but the engine doesn't start? If so, just tried that-no difference in the long time to turn over.

Frango100 05-27-2013 10:52 PM

Yes, ignition on is the position that the instrument panel lights up, but the starter is not engaged. In that position the fuel pump runs for 3 seconds and builds up pressure in the fuel rail, ready to be started. Sometimes the pressure drops due to a faulty check valve in the fuel filter/pressure regulator assy and it takes a bit to build up this pressure, causing a delayed start. Also a faulty O´ring inside the fuel pump assy could cause low fuel pressure. With engine cold and off, you could press the schräder valve on the fuel rail and check if fuel under pressure comes out. If quite some fuel spits out, then this is not your problem. Use a rag to catch the spilled fuel, to prevent eventual fire lateron.
Does the starter turn over the engine with ease, or does it seem to be laboured?
Slow starter speed could come from low battery voltage or corrosion on connectors.
If it turns over ok, how is the maintenance status, ie new plugs and air filter?

fin1211 05-28-2013 04:14 PM

Some Cold Start-Up Issues-Jeep 4.0L - YouTube

From this morning. It was like 62 outside, and the start up is worse than this when its 50 or lower.

fin1211 05-29-2013 11:19 AM

See what I'm talking about at all? When it gets colder, its not really a slower start up(i.e. it doesn't really sound like its laboring), but it takes longer than in that video.