Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Check Engine light already on!!! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/check-engine-light-already-on-60594.html)

Og Neon 05-27-2013 08:13 PM

Check Engine light already on!!!

Well I just finished my first road trip, almost 3000 miles in week and half (Dayton to Orlando and back). About 5 hours in heading to Orlando with the Eco mode on I got a check engine light. Found a dealer in route and a quick google search told me the codes are all related to the cylinders involved in deactivation in fuel saving mode. The car still operated normally, and I could still tell it was shutting down the cylinders on occasion and I was averaging mid to low 19s for mpg (I had gotten low 21ish on a previous short 180 mile trip). Some 700miles later and the next day the light went out. Then on the return trip home, about 8 or so hours in I had a repeat. Everything appears to be working normal but the light is still on. I plan to take it in tomorrow once the dealerships open back up. Any ideas? The codes are listed below.

P3402
P3426
P3442
P3450

Thanks!

Scottina06 05-27-2013 08:37 PM

Re: Check Engine light already on!!!

P3402-CYLINDER 1 DEACTIVATION CONTROL PERFORMANCE

P3426-CYLINDER 4 DEACTIVATION CONTROL PERFORMANCE

P3442-CYLINDER 6 DEACTIVATION CONTROL PERFORMANCE

P3450-CYLINDER 7 DEACTIVATION CONTROL PERFORMANCE

Has the oil been changed to something other than the 0w40 Pennzoil ultra?

Og Neon 05-27-2013 08:52 PM

Not yet, I am still on the factory oil. Was planning to change that out next weekend. Do you think they are related?

Red Suns 05-28-2013 06:07 PM

Yes, there have been a number of posts stating that the reason for the factory's specific recommendation of Pennzoil 0W-40 Ultra was for the proper function of the MDS system.

Easiest way to rule that out is to get an engine oil service done and drive it for bit and see if you get the same CEL codes.

About how many miles were you at when the CEL was pinged?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Og Neon (Post 830120)
Not yet, I am still on the factory oil. Was planning to change that out next weekend. Do you think they are related?

Og Neon 05-28-2013 06:40 PM

Mid to upper 1000s the first time and mid 3000s the second time. Each time was after about 5-8 consecutive hours on the highway. Around the town and shorter stints I never got the light.

XLR8R 05-28-2013 07:46 PM

luckily the 3 times my CE light came in it was always a case of my durango suffering from LOW GAS

Lazy
Or
Weak
Gas
Attendant
Syndrome

is it that hard to listen for a damn click !?

good luck tho hopefully its something silly and painless...