Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

build 66rfe for jeep

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  THAT_XJ_GUY 
#1 ·
Hi there,
All the rfe boxes are a pretty rare sight in the trade over here so info is very limited.I am trying to figure out the potential problems in swapping a 68rfe gear set into a 545rfe box for a WJ similar to the 66rfe cobbled up for the current Ram by Mopar. I am chasing the better ratio spread.I know using my current jtec TCM it will still only use 5 ratios up and the alternate 2nd going down but I can live with that.
So far as I can tell so far it may be possible using the low/reverse

clutches,planetary gearsets, and 2c clutch from the 68rfe and the rest 545rfe.
If anyone has an opinion or can point me in a direction that might helpit would be appreciated.
Doug

#2 ·
This is all I can remember.

Some 545s will have some of the 68parts in them. Not sure what year that started. 08 would be my guess.

I know there are parts that have to go together. But I can't remember which ones.

You will need the newer valvebody. Like a 66rfe one.

My opinion is if you change the ratios, the jtec controller will see the wrong expected output shaft speed and set wrong gear ratio codes.

That seems like alot of work to make somthing that might not work. Still have only 4 gears up. Not 5, when a 545 does a great job how it is. Also my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.