Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Japanese Jeep? (unfolding mirrors) (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/japanese-jeep-unfolding-mirrors-60712.html)

F500 05-30-2013 03:25 AM

Japanese Jeep? (unfolding mirrors)

1 Attachment(s)
Is my GC the only one in Australia with side mirrors folding out sometimes when starting the car? Or is it just that nobody ever fold the mirrors in the first place?

I see Jeep has a TSB 08-011-13 for Japan only, rectifying this problem.

wabat 05-30-2013 04:49 AM

Re: Japanese Jeep? (unfolding mirrors)

F500,

I fold my mirrors in every time I drive into the garage as the vehicle is too wide to fit in properly.

My mirrors randomly unfolds every now and then when I start the vehicle.
There seems to be no set pattern so I have to be careful when I back out every time.

My understanding was that the mirrors should unfold only when your vehicle reaches 8kmph or above.

GMWK2 05-30-2013 05:00 AM

I fold mine now and again when in tight parking spots and they unfold automatically, I guess at around 8 km/h as you say. Never had them unfold upon starting the car.

GlennR 05-30-2013 05:55 AM

I'm sure I read on a similar thread that the mirrors stay folded when you fold them with the car stationary prior to switch off (only unfolding at around 8kmh or a press of the button) but will unfold immediately on starting the car if they were folded whilst moving/in gear prior to switching off the engine. One to validate in the morning. Off to bed now!!:sleepy::sleepy:

F500 05-30-2013 06:25 AM

It seems to do it randomly, although never if you try to make it do it! I generally only fold the mirrors after switching off the engine, and it only happens if the mirrors have been folded for a time, say 15 min. or more. As far as I am concerned they should never fold out when starting the car, only when reaching a speed of ?8kmh. I almost lost a mirror once due to this fault when I started the engine at the same time a Land Rover was passing centimeters beside.

DCRSRT 05-30-2013 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMWK2 (Post 831552)
I guess at around 8 km/h as you say. Never had them unfold upon starting the car.

So what do you do when you select reverse and want to check your mirrors? If they only unfold at 8kph then they're no good to you when reversing?

Common sense would say they should fold when you turn ignition off (or lock the car) and unfold when you turn ignition on (or unlock car).

F500 05-30-2013 07:22 AM

You fold the mirrors so as not to hit them against anything, that is why they should not unfold by themselves unless you are starting to drive in traffic. Common sense is that they will be damaged if you cannot keep them folded in a tight space (that's why they are foldable).

allypally 05-30-2013 05:34 PM

Very simple solution.
1. Read the Owners Manual.
2. If the mirrors do not perform as documented, refer to dealership for a fix.
3. If dealership cannot fix, call Jeep Customer Support and request a complaint number.

Lanrete 05-30-2013 05:37 PM

To me, the ideal mirror operation would be: if driver closes them, they stay folded until driver opens. Otherwise, they should close when the engine is killed and open upon start, while obeying rule one...

Jeeppleap 05-30-2013 08:44 PM

I have this issue (knock on wood, the only trouble i have had so far after 6mths and pretty minor at that) and as others say it is random. I have to put the mirrors in to park in the garage. Most times they will stay closed until i unfold them or i have accelerated above 8kph, but other times they will unfold on start up. I would never have the car in park when i fold them in, however sometimes i may be stopped and other times i may be inching into the garage, never worked out some sequence of why they open up only sometimes. It is a worry that one time they will unfold when too close to a wall, or unfold and me not realise it an potentially get taken out by the pillar as i reverse.
In regards to the person mentioning you need them for reverse, the rear camera, centre mirror and looking over your shoulder all work well for the times you can't have the mirror out.

Jeepaus 05-30-2013 11:21 PM

Absolutely random no matter what I did to them before or after turning off the car. I have learnt to pay attention every time I reverse out of the garage. Good find on the tsb. The problem is whether our dealers here know anything about it. This issue certainly exists in Australia but I guess not much people can be bothered to go through the hassle with the dealers.

Walnuts 06-11-2013 07:22 AM

Mine also do this and it appears to be totally random. I have to be careful of this as i could lose a mirror when reversing out of the garage.