Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Visual Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/)
-   -   Painted Caliper? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/painted-caliper-60716.html)

JeepFreak12 05-30-2013 06:52 AM

Painted Caliper?

What would be the best way to paint the calipers on my 2010 JGC srt8? I dont really want to completely take the calipers off. Iv painted calipers before but has anyone just masked off the rotor and painted them on the rotor?

hummer recovery team 05-30-2013 08:47 AM

Yep it works great I used g2 caliper paint I did mine in yellow

JeepFreak12 05-30-2013 09:25 AM

Re: Painted Caliper?

Did you paint them on the rotor not removing the caliper at all?

hummer recovery team 05-30-2013 09:36 AM

Yep worked great key is prep, I sanded with a dremel than brake cleaner than I painted, I got a little on rotor but it came off with paint thinner.

JeepFreak12 05-30-2013 10:08 AM

Cool thank you!

JeepFreak12 05-30-2013 12:46 PM

Okay i found a YouTube video of a guy painting his brembo srt8 calipers on the rotors so i should be all set. Now the thing is should i do black calipers with red Brembo or red calipers with black Brembo. The jeep will be completely blacked out soon so im debating which one to do.

Ryan Williams 01-11-2014 03:32 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I painted mine a couple months back. Painted them with the red G2 caliper paint and kept the calipers on the rotors. Jacked the car up on jack stands and cleaned the calipers with brake cleaner, sanded with 220 sand paper just to rough up the surface and then cleaned them again with the brake cleaner. Take your time cleaning the calipers because that's the most important part. When you think they are ready to start painting just clean them one more time for good measure lol.

I found the best way to mask the area was with cheap aluminum foil. You can mold the foil exactly where you want it and then use some blue painting tape to keep the foil in place. Mask the entire wheel well and then spend the money and get the preval paint sprayer. The paint sprayer really helps the finish look good in my opinion vs trying to paint with a brush and getting unwanted runs in the paint. My first coats were very light coats and I gradually increased the amount for each coat.

P.S. Buy two preval paint sprayers ($15 per sprayer) I ended up running out of the CO2 in the first sprayer half way through and ended up having to buy a new paint kit to finish the final coats because the paint only had about 4 hrs working time after you mix the reactor.

I've attached some pictures so you can see the before and after. I think it looks pretty good. The brembo decals were like $8 off eBay. Just look for high temp brembo decals. Hope this helps for other members looking to change their caliper colors for super cheap.

Attachment 34163

Attachment 34164

Attachment 34165

Attachment 34166

Scottina06 01-11-2014 10:37 PM

G2 is nice stuff....that looks amazing

JeepFreak12 01-16-2014 07:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)
That's what I used. The G2 kit is seriously the best caliper paint and I will always use it. I can tell the previous job was a cheap kit because just a little bit of brake clean on a rag and the paint just wiped off.

210hawkeye 01-26-2014 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepFreak12 (Post 960564)
That's what I used. The G2 kit is seriously the best caliper paint and I will always use it. I can tell the previous job was a cheap kit because just a little bit of brake clean on a rag and the paint just wiped off.

Where can I get the G2 kit and how much time per caliper ?

JeepFreak12 01-28-2014 06:43 AM

G2 Brake Caliper Paint Systems It took me awhile because I wanted to make them look OEM so I did a light coat and 2 thick coats and they turned out awesome. I would save maybe a whole day because of the prepping, taping, painting, and letting them dry.

Gus9890 02-15-2014 02:30 PM

I painted mine on my WJ without taking them, same as above, cleaned them up, just masked things off, and painted them and they make a huge difference when done.