Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   8.4AN (RA4) Nav question - traffic route alternives (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/8-4an-ra4-nav-question-traffic-route-alternives-60729.html)

Sleestak 05-30-2013 11:23 AM

8.4AN (RA4) Nav question - traffic route alternives

Does anybody know if this nav can send you pop up mesages automatically recommending alternative routes around heavy traffic, incidences, etc? As of now, my nav is set to show me where traffic is heavy (red, yellow or green) but it doesn't display a message or suggest alternate routes in the event something has happened. If so, does it inform you by a message or is it just automatic?

bill_de 05-30-2013 11:25 AM

Re: 8.4AN (RA4) Nav question - traffic route alternives

yes, and it works very well.

Sleestak 05-30-2013 11:33 AM

That's really great but my question is where is the setting that will display a pop up message if there is one.

bill_de 05-30-2013 11:37 AM

I don't remember setting it, but probably under setting/route guidance.

Roki303 05-30-2013 11:39 AM

TMC incidents in settings on NAV screen.

Sleestak 05-30-2013 12:11 PM

TMC is already checked to automatic.

1. What does TMC stand for?
2. Should I change it to 5 minute delays?
3. Does it display a pop up message?

f1anatic 05-30-2013 04:48 PM

I have been warned before of traffic jam ahead but there was no suggestion for any alternate route. I would love to know about the setting as well.

bill_de 05-30-2013 04:54 PM

When I was in NY it would just reroute without saying anything. Except for one instance where it advised to take the truck lanes on the NJ Turnpike due to a traffic jamb in the car lanes. Sure enough we kept going when the car lanes came to a complete stop. This was right after I got the Jeep, so I might have been at the default settings.

Roki303 05-30-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 831938)
When I was in NY it would just reroute without saying anything. Except for one instance where it advised to take the truck lanes on the NJ Turnpike do to a traffic jamb in the car lanes. Sure enough we kept going when the car lanes came to a complete stop. This was right after I got the Jeep, so I might have been at the default settings.

That's how it works in my GC. I thought there was an option of what type of traffic to avoid like accidents, slow flow, construction, etc. I had to turn off some of those settings as there is always construction and slow flow in NYC.

Lanrete 05-30-2013 10:47 PM

I would love the option for traffic warnings when I am on a highway even if I don't have routing to a destination set. When I have navigation set, the traffic warnings are awesome, but when I am on the highway without setting a destination and get stuck in traffic makes me sad, when I wish the system would notify me...

Copefree 05-30-2013 11:16 PM

I haven't seen a way for it to show a pop-up for rerouting but I haven't looked, either. I think it may just be automatic?

This benefited me for the first time over this past weekend when driving over a mountain pass to head to eastern Washington. With all of the Memorial Day traffic and people getting out of town, there was like a 20 mile backup (rare) getting over the mountain. It told me to take some weird exit I've never taken, I took it, and it saved us seriously probably an hour in stop and go traffic.

Loved it!

f1anatic 05-31-2013 06:14 AM

Well I saw this elusive menu last night after my Uconnect reflash. It is indeed hidden in the Navigation settings. You have several options: Automatic / By delay Time / Manual / Off. Mine was on automatic therefore I can only assume I never saw any choices on the screen because the system works in the background to re-route and there is no warning or alert. I did not switch it to "By Delay Time" though that might be advantageous in some circumstances.

As far as the traffic updates are concerned, I have two buddies with a 135 and M3 respectively, and theirs is much much slower in response: both to display it and to take action.