Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Possible Oil leak? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/possible-oil-leak-6076.html)

brent 01-31-2010 02:44 PM

Possible Oil leak?

I was tooling under my Jeep and noticed what looks like an oil leak. Can anyone identify what these two hoses are and if this is normal or if I have a leak?

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...t/DSC_0544.jpg

Joe in PA 01-31-2010 03:10 PM

Re: Possible Oil leak?

Look like the lines that carry your atf to and from the cooler. They shouldn't be leaking and my guess would be if it is oil on the atf lines it is coming from the oil filter fitting or gasket.

Scottina06 01-31-2010 03:17 PM

it could be leftover oil from an oilchange. Sometimes techs forget to wipe off the skid plate from the drain. Clean it up and see if it comes back.

brent 01-31-2010 04:21 PM

Thanks Scott & Joe.

It looks like it might be those hose fittings that are leaking. After looking at it again, I think it's too far foward to be from the oil filter and too high up to be from an oil change (oil extends all the way up to the fittings closest to the radiator). I did wipe it up but I should get it in.. i'm right on the cusp of my warranty ending and I did just add 1/2 qt of ATF+4 because of idle/stalling issues. Not sure if it's related... doesn't look like that much oil and nothing is hitting my garage floor... but maybe it's all inside my skid plate.

I think I found a thread that might discuss the same problem..

http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread...&highlight=atf

brent 02-02-2010 08:56 PM

Well, looks like I definitely got a leaky transmission. After another frustrating experience at the dealer, I found out I have a second leak from the the pan. They're going to replace the cooler lines under warranty but not the pan. The tech said he could tell someone else had already opened the transmission because the sealant was the wrong color. Seems a little strange but whatever. They quoted me $189 for the "transmission service".

Escape 02-02-2010 10:18 PM

Trans cooler lines, common problem. Mine and several others leak also.

Replaced under warranty. How many miles do you have on the Jeep?

Wrong color sealant...I'd check out a different dealer and see what they say...sounds like some BS to me! Unless it has RTV dripping off of it...lol.

brent 02-02-2010 11:30 PM

Ya, under warranty... barely... I got 28k on my Jeep.

I went out on the shop floor with the tech and looked but I really didn't know what color the RTV was supposed to be. The tech did show me his tube of Mopar RTV and said what was on mine wasn't correct. I'm the second owner, but I still don't know why the previous owner would have the transmission serviced outside of a authorized service center. I might reason with them tomorrow on this.

Anyway, while he was showing me that, I pointed out the cooler line leak (my original complaint) and said it'd be covered under warranty. I haven't had much of a chance to talk to the techs at this dealership, they seem to try to hide behind their service consultant staff. He told me to make sure the service consultant wrote down all the keywords on my repair order (stalls at stoplight, rough idle when cold, etc) so they could be reimbursed.

-Brent

05wkguy 02-02-2010 11:54 PM

You can tell by the crimp connections that you were dealing with very high-pressure fluid lines. Had to have been tranny lines.

scottydog 02-03-2010 01:33 PM

The cooler line leaks are a common problem, as they are crimp sealed. Getting a tranny service for $189 is pretty reasonable. Make sure they change the filters.

brent 02-03-2010 08:15 PM

Yeah it is apparantly a common problem. There was a Commander that is after mine that is having the same repair done. This guy is just out of warranty and was quoted 8 hours of labor to replace the lines + parts... eesh... at 100 something an hour + parts ..

Anyway, it's sitting at the dealer overnight. I'm going to have them do the tranny service, front and rear differentials, and replace the sparkplugs... essentially the 30k service less the pvc valve (really the only thing I'm confident I can do with my skills).

jeepgcoman 02-03-2010 08:23 PM

Wow, Brent, you're sure not going to like that bill when you get it. I hear they get about $200+ just for the spark plugs. It's not a hard job, if you can do it yourself. Just need to take your time.

brent 02-03-2010 08:26 PM

Yeah, I was looking into it. Seems like an easy job, but it's not something I've done on anything other than a dirt bike or a lawn mower.... so I figured I'd bite the bullet and have them do it. It'll be 600 or 700 bucks when I'm done...