Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   2014 Canadian Pricing for Grand Cherokee (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/2014-canadian-pricing-for-grand-cherokee-60773.html)

KILOFINAL 05-31-2013 11:29 AM

2014 Canadian Pricing for Grand Cherokee

I love the new revisions to the 2014 Grand Cherokee. Does anyone have any insight as to why the Canadian pricing is so high? The base Laredo up here starts at $40,000.

I can understand the fluctuations in currency, but there seems to be quite a gap between US and Canadian pricing.

spike98 05-31-2013 12:31 PM

Re: 2014 Canadian Pricing for Grand Cherokee

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILOFINAL (Post 832408)
I love the new revisions to the 2014 Grand Cherokee. Does anyone have any insight as to why the Canadian pricing is so high? The base Laredo up here starts at $40,000.

I can understand the fluctuations in currency, but there seems to be quite a gap between US and Canadian pricing.

It has been like this for many many years. The gap has gotten a bit closer but its only close enough to make you think twice about importing. The CDN MSRP on the 2014 overland with mopar chrome and ACC was $62600 :eek:

Red G8R 05-31-2013 04:28 PM

Why the surprise? Is there anything cheaper in Canada?
Even if priced the same, our sales taxes are much higher. You can buy in the US and import to Canada.

neiltb 05-31-2013 09:25 PM

Price is before taxes!!!
The only answer I can give is that someone has to help pad the balance sheet.
Hosers get hosed

KILOFINAL 06-01-2013 04:22 PM

I think there is about an $8000 difference if I compare a Laredo in America and Canada, both with 4WD. I wouldn't be able to afford anything more than just a base truck.

frozennorth 06-01-2013 05:06 PM

I think there was at least a $7.8k difference on the invoice price of my model compared to US. It's weird that the add on options are usually cheaper for Canada but our base prices are through the roof. I think I know where they are pulling their prices out off. Wanna guess?

But Chrysler isn't the only one. If you check for example Ford Explorer, the limited model base price is about $10k higher in Canada. :slapfight:

Don't think importing is that easy. I bet they would make you jump through quite a few hoops so in the end the cost would be similar. Anybody here who has experience with importing a brand new vehicle from US?

Thankfully I only have to pay 5% tax here in Alberta.

KILOFINAL 06-01-2013 08:12 PM

Yeah, you guys are in god's country. You only pay the 5% tax and you get cheaper gas.

I was looking over just a Laredo and for $40,000 it's not bare bones but I would have to spend $48000 to get leather seats. Too bad they did away with the X package which had a few nice options.

I went to look at some used 2012's which were the Laredo X and they are going for $33,000. If I get a Cherokee, probably get the 2014 Base Laredo for 40K. All the dealers I went to only had Limited/Overlands or Summits. Nobody had a base truck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by frozennorth (Post 833040)
I think there was at least a $7.8k difference on the invoice price of my model compared to US. It's weird that the add on options are usually cheaper for Canada but our base prices are through the roof. I think I know where they are pulling their prices out off. Wanna guess?

But Chrysler isn't the only one. If you check for example Ford Explorer, the limited model base price is about $10k higher in Canada. :slapfight:

Don't think importing is that easy. I bet they would make you jump through quite a few hoops so in the end the cost would be similar. Anybody here who has experience with importing a brand new vehicle from US?

Thankfully I only have to pay 5% tax here in Alberta.

frozennorth 06-01-2013 10:14 PM

I don't know where you're located but our gas isn't exactly cheap, even though it sprouts here :D. Prices range from 125.9 (costco) to 134.9

Willx 06-02-2013 08:05 AM

Pricing structure in Canada is completely different. I won't be defending it but they will leave the MSRPs where they are in case the dollar slides back again. Basically the consumer cash discounts etc add up to slightly more than the standard discounts in the US for something like a grand caravan or a journey. So high MSRPs minus a big discount = still slightly more than the Americans pay.

Now the sad part is that will not apply to the new JGC because there won't be any discounts for a bit. It is priced comparatively to others in market in Canada and because it is new and selling well, they have no reason to discount it right now. This is where they will pick up there red tape taxes etc of bringing the new drive trains etc to Canada.

There are lots of other things going on with the pricing but that is a big part of it.

KILOFINAL 06-02-2013 10:16 AM

Thanks for the replies. Congrats to Chrysler/Jeep for making such a nice SUV that is selling as fast as they make them, it just sucks that the base truck starts at 40K up here. lol

Perhaps I'm in the minority because every one I've seen at the dealers are 50-60K. They proabably don't sell many base Laredo's. Too bad they didn't offer the 2WD truck up here, that would cut the price a bit.

Willx 06-03-2013 06:46 AM

I have been around a number of the dealerships and not seen a single Laredo. Seems that Limited is the Volume unit.... You can always go in and order the Jeep you want with the equipment you want.

Furkmyster 06-03-2013 08:43 AM

My local dealer here in southern Manitoba has a single Laredo with a couple Limited's on the lot. I would like to see either the Summit or Overland in person.