Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Someone ran in to my new Jeep :( (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/someone-ran-in-to-my-new-jeep-60783.html)

JC_0105 05-31-2013 03:48 PM

Someone ran in to my new Jeep :(

1 Attachment(s)
Going to lunch today and stopped at a light and the car behind me was talking on the phone, driving too fast and didn't stop in time. Luckily it was an old Camry that sat much lower than the jeep. Now I have a few questions for the experts here. Is there a way I can check the sensors on the bumper to see if any are damaged? When replacing the cover on the trail hitch will they have to paint it? What else should I check? I went by the dealer and they don't have a body shop and wouldn't even look at it to provide advice. :(. Going to try trusted collision center I have used before and another Jeep dealer tomorrow but wanted to be prepared.

Thanks

camaro430sut 05-31-2013 05:14 PM

Is this a 14? The dealer is the last place I'd take it. As far as the sensors, put it in reverse and have someone cover each sensor.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

JC_0105 05-31-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaro430sut (Post 832566)
Is this a 14? The dealer is the last place I'd take it. As far as the sensors, put it in reverse and have someone cover each sensor.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Yep 14....thanks.

SnoFire 05-31-2013 05:27 PM

Ouch, that sucks JC... I hate people that can't multi task when driving. I bet this wasn't the first time for that driver..

JC_0105 05-31-2013 05:36 PM

Re: Someone ran in to my new Jeep :(

I don't think so...She wasn't very happy I called the police so I had an accident report. I wasn't going to risk her insurance not being valid or fighting to pay for the repairs for any reason on a 6 week old vehicle.

camaro430sut 05-31-2013 06:22 PM

The lower portion of the bumper, which is separate, might come prepainted. I would get it to a reputable body shop where it can be disassembled and an agreed price for repairs can be reached with the insureds company. Where are you located?

Sent from my Galaxy S3

jk101 05-31-2013 06:59 PM

I have no suggestions JC just wanted to say that sucks and I'll tip a pint for you tonight

jacko15 05-31-2013 07:07 PM

Really sucks! She's lucky she doesn't need a colonoscopy to find her phone! :mad:

UNCjeepWK2 05-31-2013 11:33 PM

Same thing happened to me in my then-new WK2 a couple years ago. Thankfully, I have the tow hitch... which absolutely saved my ass. I'll never again buy an SUV without it...

scooterha 06-01-2013 05:52 AM

that sucks man!

Litsluv 06-03-2013 12:39 PM

That does suck. I just hit the one year mark and I got hit about a month ago by an older F150. They had to replace both the upper and lower bumper and also the step pieces. I think it was a total of 4 peice's all together. The upper bumper needd to be painted, but my lower section was black and that's how it came. I also don't have the towing package. Total bill to the insurance company waas like $1300 with my rental car, which was about $150. It was down for 4 days. Good luck.

Willx 06-03-2013 01:00 PM

It is a Summit and it looks like she squarely hit the Hitch Cover. It Only comes the one color, not absolutely sure it comes that way but I believe so. It does look like there is a small mark to the left of the cover though, which is the part that really sucks.

Feel for ya man! :(