Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Alarm sets off - unable to stop it with key remote (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/alarm-sets-off-unable-to-stop-it-with-key-remote-60890.html)

f1anatic 06-03-2013 06:48 AM

Alarm sets off - unable to stop it with key remote

Yesterday I was in down town with my wife. After coming back to the car (parked about 1.5 hrs), we opened the car (I had the key - on the passenger site - wife was driving) and the Jeep's alarm set off. In retrospect, my wife opened the car door before I did but we were both by the car doors at the same time. The alarm set off and it did not stop.

The alarm did not stop by pressing UNLOCK, by pressing PANICK, by holding PANICK pressed, by starting the engine, by closing the doors, by moving the car a few feet, by cursing or by kicking the car. Cops, parking attendants came and looked, after 3 minutes the car was silent and we drove away. The cops asked me what is going on, I explained that I am stealing my wife's car - they gave me a curious look and I pointed to my wife and told them that the Jeep is her car.

Has not happened before so I have no idea. In the evening we did watch Top Gear's UK episode when the boys go to the States and drive a Cadillac CTS-V; a Dodge Challenger and a Corvette and Clarkson moves Hammond's Dodge in the street - the key chain still on Hammond's table in the restaurant, 150 feet away.

Other observations over the past 6 weeks of ownership related to the operation of this proximity sensor crap:

- you can drive the Jeep quite a bit without the key physically inside the car. I always open the house gates (key in my pocket) and wife is still in the car reversing into the parking spot. The car may not always restart if say she forgot the window open, without the key inside the car but it can be driven. I find this...a serious glitch - if the car is not moving (or in park) the engine should turn off. In fact we did go eat ice cream once and she had the key, I went around the block without the key in the car - never put in in Park. Not Good.
- unlocking the car using the proximity sensor is equally split between one (1) and two (2) moves. Sometimes I just grab the handle and the door opens, sometimes I grab the handle, it unlocks, then I have to grab again to open.
- My doors never lock automatically if the key is removed from the car, even after half an hour. I was under the impression they did.
- And my settings cannot be set to be matched to the key - though I clicked the box.

What configuration options are there ? Especially to cancel the proximity door opening crap. I know there is a box for opening all doors vs driver door only but I do not recall anything else.

Thanks.

Willx 06-03-2013 07:01 AM

I can't answer a lot of the questions (especially about the alarm situation) but I do know this. All other proximity sensors work the same way. I am not sure who set the standard but I have driven the Cadillacs and the Mercedes with the same type of systems and the characteristics are all about the same.

What I have been told is that the vehicle cannot be set to immediately immobilize your truck the second the key is not detected inside. As the system runs on RF there may be times due to minor I interference that it is not sure where the key is for short intervals. If the vehicle accidentally assessed this while you were driving somewhere it would suddenly shut off.

There are a bunch of other convenience reasons it works the way it does but I don't know them all. I can assure you though that all of the ones I have driven work in a very similar fashion.... I believe there is a documented chart for all of the conditions that need to be set in order to start vs run each of these vehicles and timeouts for various situations that the key is not detected.

Willx 06-03-2013 07:03 AM

Oh, for the alarm... it will have stored a code on what the trigger was. It is possible one of your fobs has an issue.

f1anatic 06-03-2013 07:07 AM

Re: Alarm sets off - unable to stop it with key remote

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willx (Post 833958)
Oh, for the alarm... it will have stored a code on what the trigger was. It is possible one of your fobs has an issue.

Thank you.

Is the end user able to read this message? and How? Stored messages section on the dashboard display?

Willx 06-03-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f1anatic (Post 833960)

Thank you.

Is the end user able to read this message? and How? Stored messages section on the dashboard display?

No I am sorry it must be pulled from the computer via a dealer tool. I am referring specifically to other manufactures on this as I have not done it specifically on the jeep. Also it is possible the aftermarket readers would be able to get this info but someone more experienced with the Jeep alarm would need to answer that.... but usually it is a code and that code would = for example "unlock no fob detected"