Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Tire Recommendations (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/tire-recommendations-60923.html)

qbeam 06-03-2013 05:35 PM

Tire Recommendations

I just bought a 2014 Summit with 20 inch wheels. I have read a lot of marginal to crappy opinions about the Fortera tires. I am wondering what would be a good replacement for them. I am not looking for an A/T tire. Just the same type of all season that is already on it but with better handling performance.

silvermax04 06-03-2013 05:50 PM

Re: Tire Recommendations

Quote:

Originally Posted by qbeam (Post 834299)
I just bought a 2014 Summit with 20 inch wheels. I have read a lot of marginal to crappy opinions about the Fortera tires. I am wondering what would be a good replacement for them. I am not looking for an A/T tire. Just the same type of all season that is already on it but with better handling performance.

In the same boat as you just bought a summit and love the truck and have no problems at all but the tires are garbage. Unfortunately not that many choices in that size. I will probably go with the Bridgestone - Dueler H/L Alenza when the time comes or maybe sooner if these goodyears get any noisier. :)

SLLJG 06-04-2013 10:23 AM

Nokian WR G SUV tires are woth considering.

AAAA 06-04-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLLJG (Post 834761)
Nokian WR G SUV tires are woth considering.

Yes, the Nokian WR G2 is an excellent tire. Ran them on wife's Volvo XC-70 and now on her Subaru Legacy. They even have snowflake/mountain symbol. But they are N.A. in Summit wheel size. :(

bertball50 06-06-2013 08:05 AM

i'm getting close to getting my summit, and from what i'm reading, the tires arent very good. i've got a $100 a tire credit for trading the forteras in, and i can get another goodyear, continental, or kumho tire. are there any recommendations for either of these?

BuckeyeSRT 06-07-2013 07:05 AM

I have had zero issues with my Forteras 43K on OE tires. will be getting another set in the Fall.

bertball50 06-07-2013 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckeyeSRT (Post 836954)
I have had zero issues with my Forteras 43K on OE tires. will be getting another set in the Fall.

since you're in ohio, how did they handle in the snow? that's my main concern. thanks

BuckeyeSRT 06-10-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bertball50 (Post 836976)
since you're in ohio, how did they handle in the snow? that's my main concern. thanks

Snow in Central Ohio is not what you think it might be. We dont get a lot but, when we did get it they were just fine. However, they would not do well right now with the level of tread on them currently. My plan is to replace them with another set in the Fall.

Willx 06-10-2013 08:18 AM

I cut a deal with my Dealer to buy back the Forteras and put a set of Michelin Latitude HPs on (What I had on my ML320 and they are good in the snow, better than the Fortera from experience).

If any of you haven't picked up yet, see if your dealer will give you cash on your Forteras. Not like they aren't able to use them. The used car manager will think it is a great way to put a new set on a trade in.

silvermax04 06-10-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willx (Post 838858)
I cut a deal with my Dealer to buy back the Forteras and put a set of Michelin Latitude HPs on (What I had on my ML320 and they are good in the snow, better than the Fortera from experience).

If any of you haven't picked up yet, see if your dealer will give you cash on your Forteras. Not like they aren't able to use them. The used car manager will think it is a great way to put a new set on a trade in.

How much did you have to pay for the swap? I will probably go with those or the Bridgestone - Dueler H/L Alenza. I am very Michelin loyal but the Bridgestones are rated slightly better so not sure. I have 2000 on my summit now so would probably just scrap the crappy Forteras. Depends on if all the noise they make just gets to me to much one day lol.