Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Front Body Damage with grille guard - Insurance Question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/front-body-damage-with-grille-guard-insurance-question-60930.html)

S.M.H. 06-03-2013 07:53 PM

Front Body Damage with grille guard - Insurance Question

Person backed into my WK at the front drivers side corner. Bent part of my grille guard (that wraps around the headlight) into the headlight, hood, front quarter panel. Decent damage to that side of the front bumper, hood headlight, quarter panel grille and guard.

They accepted blame, Im getting a few estimates and letting them decide to do out of pocket or insurance.. What I would like to know is that if anyone has had issues with insurance companies settling claims when they had a grille guard on. Just wanted to prepare myself incase that happens to be an issue. Thanks ahead of time.

suzieque 06-04-2013 09:45 AM

Re: Front Body Damage with grille guard - Insurance Question

would you say the grille guard provided any sort of protection? I've not heard of any insurance company reducing/denying coverage when a grille guard is installed. Can you post up a picture of the damage?

bill_de 06-04-2013 11:00 AM

I was an adjuster for a number of years. Not only would the guard not reduce anything, damage to the guard itself would be covered. That pertains to your own collision insurance or the other party's liability insurance.

When speaking of the other party's liability insurance, it covers any damage he is responsible for, that is caused by his car. If your golf clubs were sitting on your front bumper, he or his insurance would be paying for them also.

SvenskaJeepGuy 06-04-2013 06:48 PM

^this..... when it is the other persons responsibility you get a lot more freedom with the repairs.

S.M.H. 06-04-2013 09:03 PM

Got it. Thanks!

S.M.H. 06-04-2013 09:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pic is attached..guard actually caused most of the damage..im sure it could have been similar had the guard not been there.

suzieque 06-05-2013 08:57 AM

thanks for the pic! I suspect your headlight housing would be broken without the guard.

S.M.H. 06-05-2013 06:47 PM

True, I've been making the rounds for estimates..First one came in at 3500 without knowing what else is broken thats hidden..not including a new guard as well. Damn.