Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (
-   Cherokee-SJ and XJ (
-   -   '91 XJ 4.0L dying randomly (

acilate 06-03-2013 11:34 PM

'91 XJ 4.0L dying randomly
...and the crank sensor has already been replaced - it didn't fix the problem.

It REALLY seems like the crankshaft sensor:

Randomly while driving, all power is lost from the engine, and the tach drops to 0, even if I'm on the freeway and I *KNOW* the engine is still turning. The other gauges seem normal/don't change.

The issue will fix itself within a couple seconds, often before I stop, and usually doesn't need to be started again.

Could it be wiring for the crank sensor? Is there a cam senor maybe?

My only other thought is it could be the computer.

acilate 06-04-2013 12:14 AM

Re: '91 XJ 4.0L dying randomly
This Jeep is a recent acquisition - my girlfriend has had it for a while, but is driving another car as her primary until we can get the XJ running well again.

I have some other concerns as well. She has been sitting unused for almost two years. I usually turn her on once a month and let her run for a half hour or so. Sometimes I go 2-3 months without a start due to bad memory :o

I'm concerned about condensation in the gas tank. I've added stabilizer to the gas.

What other items should I be concerned about? What should I check to make sure she is running the best she can?

The motor has 200,000 miles on it, and seems ok, (besides a "clanky" sound from the head) but I know its only a matter of time before things start dying.

4.whoa 06-17-2013 11:47 PM

condensation in the fuel as well as stale gas will make it run rough, but not cause the problem you're having. No a '91 does not have a cam sensor. is there any certain thing that brings this on ,like hitting a bump or whatever ?

acilate 06-18-2013 12:38 AM

Not to my knowledge. It always happens while moving, but beyond that, it seems fairly random.

bruce van wyk 06-18-2013 06:38 AM

Hi I had the same problem with my jeep they replaced just about every part in the car and it ended up being the lambda sensor

acilate 06-18-2013 07:58 PM

Hi Bruce!

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out. Also, welcome to Jeep Garage!

bruce van wyk 06-19-2013 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by acilate (Post 844279)
Hi Bruce!

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out. Also, welcome to Jeep Garage!

thanks hope that it comes right

Frango100 06-21-2013 09:28 AM

Don' t know the XJ, but it seems that the 4.0 gives problems alike on the WJ. Some guys found a cable bundle at the aft side of the head, resting against a bolt. Over time a wire will shave through and will be resting against ground. Alsoproblems arrose due to too long bolts securing the PCM, causing a short. Don't remember exact which bolts its related to, but some googling probably can help you further.

Frango100 06-22-2013 05:14 PM

Here a link to the site mentioning the problem with the PCM bolts: Jeep Grand Cherokee stalling fixed! - CNET Car Tech Forums

acilate 06-28-2013 01:25 AM

Thanks! I'll check it out.