Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Basic Towing Question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/basic-towing-question-60971.html)

ClarkKent 06-04-2013 02:54 PM

Basic Towing Question

I'm planning to order a Limited CRD w/ ORA 1 but I think I'm a bit confused about the towing configurations.

If I don't get the Tow Package with the Class IV hitch, does the Limited still come with a smaller hitch? I can't find anything in the materials to say that it does, but for some reason I remember from different iterations of 2013 and 2014 configs that there was a standard tow hitch, and that the tow package just beefed it up to a more capable tow hitch. Is this the case? Does the JGC w/o the tow package still have a smaller tow hitch?

Also, are there any significant drawbacks to getting the tow package? I've never had to tow anything in my life, but I'm thinking about getting it as an "in case" feature or to possibly mount a bike rack to it down the road. I've heard the tow package adds unnecessary weight to lug around on a daily basis. How heavy is it and is this weight really a factor in the big scheme of things?

Willx 06-04-2013 03:05 PM

Way better to have factory towing than messing around with aftermarket hitches and other parts to try and get it working later.
Factory towing package is also including extra cooling lines for the engine and transmission usually which can be very helpful if you do plan on towing at some point and the upfront cost is fairly low in comparison to the benefit you get

BobsWK2 06-04-2013 07:04 PM

Re: Basic Towing Question

If you don't get the tow package, the vehicle doesn't come with any tow hitch.

jerkylips 06-04-2013 07:40 PM

You ABSOLUTELY want the tow package. Even if you don't pull a trailer, it's great for other things. Cargo carrier/basket is nice for hauling big/awkward/dirty stuff (ex grass clippings). Hitch mounted bike racks are nice. It can give a little extra protection in fender benders. Unless you install an aftermarket hitch yourself, it's similar cost.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

loveracing1988 06-04-2013 08:18 PM

It costs $695, since you are getting the off road package that drops the price by a little also. You will be spending almost that much to get just the hitch installed afterwards if you need it. So I would just add it, it will never hurt to have the things the package comes with like the load leveling shocks.

z0lt3c 06-05-2013 01:43 AM

I've bought a 2012 and 2013 Jeep and on both I had the dealer add the tow package as part of the purchase. In both cases I got it for cost, which was under $400, cheaper then the factory option. I don't need or want the load leveling shocks, I got the full size spare with ORA1 and the V6 doesn't get a cooler even with the factory package. The dealer installed hitch is one of the nicer looking install I've seen for what is basically an aftermarket Mopar part. Well worth the $400 for the hitch, bumper cutout/trim, 4/7 wiring kit, installation and coding. Unless your going V8 or towing near the extreme limits the dealer option will meet all your needs.

loveracing1988 06-05-2013 01:50 AM

The 2014's come with a 220 amp alternator and heavy duty cooling with any of the 3 engines.

Willx 06-05-2013 05:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by loveracing1988 (Post 835359)
The 2014's come with a 220 amp alternator and heavy duty cooling with any of the 3 engines.

Not actually the case, didn't check all option mixes but here is the line order description for a limited. Neither Motor comes with the upgraded cooling or alternator without the up grade to trailer tow group.

EcoDiesel automatically has the high amp alternator

Order Option code description below.

loveracing1988 06-05-2013 06:35 AM

On our Laredo the towing package came with the hitch, wiring, upgraded alternator, heavy duty cooling and load leveling shocks.

ledcat 06-05-2013 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willx (Post 835396)
Not actually the case, didn't check all option mixes but here is the line order description for a limited. Neither Motor comes with the upgraded cooling or alternator without the up grade to trailer tow group.

EcoDiesel automatically has the high amp alternator

Order Option code description below.

But, if you order the trailer tow group with any engine you get the upgraded alternator, cooling etc. I think that is what we are talking about?

Willx 06-05-2013 07:04 AM

Yes and I might have misunderstood loveracing's comment.

My point was with the better alternator and cooling etc it is a really cheap option. I would get it on any vehicle that was capable of towing with that option package. The value is definitely there especially for resale down the road.... never seen a used car buy go "oh it has a trailer hitch I can't use that vehicle". Of course the opposite does apply.... if you need one they are a mess to do on that vehicle after the fact.

bertball50 06-05-2013 07:19 AM

you also want to think about resale. most people would prefer to have it, and like others have said, the factory hitch looks good, and it should be done correctly as well