Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   Cannot back up when marine trailer is attached (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/cannot-back-up-when-marine-trailer-is-attached-61035.html)

laura colville 06-05-2013 09:06 PM

Cannot back up when marine trailer is attached
 
Just bought a 2014 Grand Cherokee. Have a marine trailer with a brakes, so have a 5 pin connection. Cannot back up. Seems the relay from the Jeep to tell the trailer to disengage the trailer brakes is faulty. Has anyone else had this problem and how resolved?

Willx 06-05-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laura colville (Post 835948)
Just bought a 2014 Grand Cherokee. Have a marine trailer with a brakes, so have a 5 pin connection. Cannot back up. Seems the relay from the Jeep to tell the trailer to disengage the trailer brakes is faulty. Has anyone else had this problem and how resolved?

Sorry are these surge brakes? There is no brake control from the cherokee unless you are using 7pins and have a brake controller underneath the dash. If it is surge brakes something isn't setup right on the trailer.

laura colville 06-18-2013 10:05 AM

Fixed. Problem was with the vehicle. We have the tow package. Middle pin of the 7 pin hookup was bent so wire was not connected. Straightened pin and now we can back up boat trailer with surge brakes.

The frustrating part of this is the dealer where we had just bought the vehicle kept insisting was a problem with the trailer. Never wanted to take the time to look or troubleshoot. Both the marina and a hitch installer did troubleshoot the problem and both said was a problem with the vehicle.

Found another Chrysler Jeep dealer. They looked at it and in 5 minutes fixed it and on our way. This dealer has earned our service business!

Willx 06-18-2013 10:12 AM

Re: Cannot back up when marine trailer is attached
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by laura colville (Post 843916)
Fixed. Problem was with the vehicle. We have the tow package. Middle pin of the 7 pin hookup was bent so wire was not connected. Straightened pin and now we can back up boat trailer with surge brakes.

The frustrating part of this is the dealer where we had just bought the vehicle kept insisting was a problem with the trailer. Never wanted to take the time to look or troubleshoot. Both the marina and a hitch installer did troubleshoot the problem and both said was a problem with the vehicle.

Found another Chrysler Jeep dealer. They looked at it and in 5 minutes fixed it and on our way. This dealer has earned our service business!

Sorry you had me confused with the original post and the 5 PIN. I have never seen those PINs get bent except when people are jamming stuff in there. Your trailer/boat guy should have seen that right way if he was diagnosing it first but then again they likely did it.

On the Chrysler dealer, ya that is silly. Some dealers are good some are terrible. Stick with the one who serves you well.

laura colville 06-18-2013 10:27 AM

Was a Chrysler Jeep factory defect.

Marina mechanic did diagnose problem, as well as the mechanic at a hitch store. The arrogance of the service manager at buying dealer would not even acknowledge the problem may be with the vehicle.

We love our 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4X4. And now love it even more now that we can back up the boat trailer!

Willx 06-18-2013 10:44 AM

Re: Cannot back up when marine trailer is attached
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by laura colville (Post 843929)
Was a Chrysler Jeep factory defect.

Marina mechanic did diagnose problem, as well as the mechanic at a hitch store. The arrogance of the service manager at buying dealer would not even acknowledge the problem may be with the vehicle.

We love our 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4X4. And now love it even more now that we can back up the boat trailer!


HAHA, both directions are good. Some service managers suck. I train some and I can say there are a few out there that need to find another line of work.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community