Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   michelin ltx at2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/michelin-ltx-at2-61036.html)

Seandmac 06-05-2013 09:40 PM

michelin ltx at2
 
Just picked up some michelin ltx at2... Anyone have any experience with these tires. Should I haved opted for the ltx m2 instead?

jacko15 06-05-2013 09:54 PM

Re: michelin ltx at2
 
1 Attachment(s)
No experience with the at2's, but I have the m/s2's, and they're great on the highway, quiet and surefooted, and gripped well on gravel roads and off road on wet hilly grass heading to a friends grass landing strip. Can't wait to try them out in the ample snow we get around here in the winter. I don't do serious off-road rock crawling, so I didn't consider the at2's.

bonacbub 06-05-2013 10:18 PM

I switched to m/s2's on my '14 with only 120 miles on them. Got $400 for trade in on the stock tires.

I had m/s2's on my '07 Tahoe that I traded in, and they were great all around.

Great in the snow, sand. Great handling. Quiet. Lasted forever.

AAAA 06-06-2013 04:42 PM

Re: michelin ltx at2
 
Depends on where you plan on driving. I have almost 30,000 miles on the M/S 2's and they hardly show any wear, but I do not do any serious off-roading. They are designed as a high mileage slightly aggressive tire. AT tires will not last as long due to more aggressive tread design and probably different rubber compound. The Michelin AT's have a great reputation and you will be happy with them. The only negative comment I have about the LTX M/S 2's is that I get more rear kick out corning on snow than I think I should, but that is subjective.

SnoFire 06-06-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacko15 (Post 835985)
No experience with the at2's, but I have the m/s2's, and they're great on the highway, quiet and surefooted, and gripped well on gravel roads and off road on wet hilly grass heading to a friends grass landing strip. Can't wait to try them out in the ample snow we get around here in the winter. I don't do serious off-road rock crawling, so I didn't consider the at2's.

I completely agree with this.. I swapped out for these with less than 50 miles.

lstowell 06-07-2013 10:20 AM

Re: michelin ltx at2
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seandmac (Post 835974)
Just picked up some michelin ltx at2... Anyone have any experience with these tires. Should I haved opted for the ltx m2 instead?

I had M+S on an older GC and they lasted about 7 years.
Swapped for AT/2's and only got about 3.5 driving same roads [their wear rating is lower].

Mild offroad didn't honestly see that much difference [mud, wet rocks, wet vegetation] with the AT/2, and the M+S actually seemed better on cloudburst roads.

Went back to the M+S as the M+S/2

The AT/2 is definitely noisier than either series of the MS and the new MS/2 seems definitely better on cloudburst roads.

The AT/2 isn't chopped liver, but when they wear out, give the MS a try.

I would suggest running the AT/2 near the top of their inflation pressure--seems to help a bit on the highways.

ragoodsp 06-07-2013 12:25 PM

Re: michelin ltx at2
 
I have the AT-2's on my 07 GC CRD and like them very much. I will say like others they wear faster than the M-S2's do. Honestly, I do not think you can go wrong with Michelin's period! I will put nothing but Michelin's on my vehicles and have never had one issue, they are worth every penny you have to spend.

weck 07-10-2013 12:39 PM

Re: michelin ltx at2
 
Reviving an older thread to add my 2 cents.

Replaced the latitude tours with LTX A/T2, drove a little more than 100 miles on the original tires before i swapped them.

The A/T 2 is a little noisier than the Tours (obviously) but not objectionable. No hum or anything like that on the highway.

You do feel the chunkier tread, as in some slight vibration at low speed. Barely perceptible, but there.

Steering feel was better with the Tours. The A/Ts do like to howl/beak loose under even moderate street maneuvers, i.e. punching out into traffic from a side street.

All of this is typical of an chunky A/T tread pattern and was what I expected. I came from BFG A/Ts and these are quieter and smoother.

Reason I opted for the A/T was for the more aggressive shoulder tread; fall hunting/camping takes me on some pretty rutted up roads and you need some shoulder bite to get out of the ruts.

lstowell 07-10-2013 06:01 PM

Re: michelin ltx at2
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by weck (Post 855922)
Reviving an older thread to add my 2 cents.

Replaced the latitude tours with LTX A/T2, drove a little more than 100 miles on the original tires before i swapped them.

The A/T 2 is a little noisier than the Tours (obviously) but not objectionable. No hum or anything like that on the highway.

You do feel the chunkier tread, as in some slight vibration at low speed. Barely perceptible, but there.

Steering feel was better with the Tours. The A/Ts do like to howl/beak loose under even moderate street maneuvers, i.e. punching out into traffic from a side street.

All of this is typical of an chunky A/T tread pattern and was what I expected. I came from BFG A/Ts and these are quieter and smoother.

Reason I opted for the A/T was for the more aggressive shoulder tread; fall hunting/camping takes me on some pretty rutted up roads and you need some shoulder bite to get out of the ruts.

The AT2 have one other capability if you are musically inclined.
Dunno about your highways, but on the freeways in Nevada, the driving lane to shoulder area of them are marked with continuous rumble strips [sleeping right off the highway being a big issue].

With a bit of practice and open traffic, you can play tunes by drifting just a bit to the right. The AT2s are much more musical than the Latitudes or even the M+S2.

.... well, you gotta have something to do on those freeways or you may be one of the sleep drifters.

weck 07-10-2013 09:48 PM

Re: michelin ltx at2
 
Ok... That is too funny. Isn't there a road down that way somewhere that has rumble strips specifically designed to play the 1812 overture or something like that? There was a top gear uk episode where they did it, said it was really freaky if you drove in reverse...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community