Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Need some quick advise on hood protection (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/need-some-quick-advise-on-hood-protection-61054.html)

salsfirst 06-06-2013 09:30 AM

Need some quick advise on hood protection

I'm picking my SRT up today and taking it to get a protection put on the hood and bumpers. Anyone heard of Automotive Paint Protection Film | PremiumShield This is the product they will install. I have a price of $500 for full hood and bumpers. Any comments about the product itself would be appreciated. Also, my 2011 Jeep only had the first part of the hood protected and I never had any problems. Is it prudent to do the whole hood. I like to detail my car and I keep it pretty shinny all year. Will a full hood coverage effect the look?

I'm bringing it in tomorrow to get the premium shield on it so any quick advise would be helpful.

Of course, pictures are forthcoming.

tjbuz 06-06-2013 09:59 AM

Re: Need some quick advise on hood protection

I would beware of a $500 price for full hood and bumper. The good stuff costs more than that for the material alone. I have a quote for $1,500 for full hood, bumper, A-pillars and front fenders. I saw it on a black Escalade that the owner of the company did. It was a seamless install that you could not notice at all. My current car has the partial and I hate it... You can see the lines every time the car gets dirty, or the wax builds up at the seam. I would get a couple of quotes and MAKE SURE you see their work on another car before you buy.

Good Luck!

rupi555 06-06-2013 01:10 PM

try this
3M 90000 Paint Defender Spray Film

Amazon.com: 3M 90000 Paint Defender Spray Film: Automotive

Scottina06 06-06-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rupi555 (Post 836401)
try this

wow.....have any of you ever used this? It looks promising.

robpp 06-06-2013 03:03 PM

we need some testers......says its good for a year/

Scottina06 06-06-2013 03:29 PM

Im really thinking about ordering a kit

tjbuz 06-08-2013 11:29 AM

I am going with Suntek full hood, fenders a-pillars and door edges. Quote is $2,750 out the door, and includes Suntek CXP window tint. If this $25 spray can does as good a job, I am not going to be very happy!

14StormTrooper 06-08-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjbuz (Post 837904)
I am going with Suntek full hood, fenders a-pillars and door edges. Quote is $2,750 out the door, and includes Suntek CXP window tint. If this $25 spray can does as good a job, I am not going to be very happy!

That seems like a high quote. I got a quote for the same areas for 1600 with 10 year warranty from one of the biggest customization places in the US. They are like the west coast customs of the central US. My company has seen the film they use in our catalogs and these rolls sell for 200-250 bucks. And they won't use even close to a quarter of the roll for your truck. That's a lot for install. Window tint should add about 200-300 to the price.

houtex 06-08-2013 11:09 PM

I had a ppf installed. 500$. On a 1- 10 I give it a weak 8.

The few bubbles underneath never "fell" even after many hot days in full sun.

Some of the edges are not as crisp and clean as the others.

You have to be careful waxing near the edge and remember to wipe away and over the edge otherwise you could force grim under the edge.

Now the good part, bugs wife off with no problem. Paper towel and water. I have a chip in my windshield but nothing on the front at all.

I feel I got a good deal at the price I got for the product but the install could have been better.

Anonymoustache 06-09-2013 07:14 AM

The dealers in my area advertise as the best around and "highly skilled technicians" but they won't install anything until the template comes out. WTF

JFD328 06-10-2013 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rupi555 (Post 836401)
try this

Any news on if this works or not?

HAMMMERHEAD 06-11-2013 03:14 PM

Personally, I dont like it. Once it gets roughed up it looks bad or at least what I had on the front of my old Vette did. The sections that get the most tiny nicks, indentions and micro cuts from pebbles and what not gather wax and dirt. Its damn near impossible to get it all out without heated water through a pressure washer and even then you really cant put more wax in top because you never get it all out without stripping it all back off. Besides, the cost of the good stuff and the install is way more than having a hood or front fascia re-painted.