Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   Won't start, need some serious help (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/wont-start-need-some-serious-help-61058.html)

Carbon28 06-06-2013 10:42 AM

Won't start, need some serious help

Got a 05 GC Hemi, 116k miles and it won't start.

I'm fairly handy but I'm no means a mechanic. Started up fine this morning, drove up the hill and when I stopped to enter into traffic it bogged down and stalled and the red oil light came on.

This has happened before on some cold starts and I figure it was jus the low idle or pressure at start up. But now it won't even crank.

Brand new spark plugs so I know it's not that, gonna try and jump it and get the battery tested. Oil is fine jus changed it and it's within operating range.

Really need some advice. It's my DD so I need to get it back up ASAP. Thank god my roommate had the day off so I used his car. Thanks guys

WVUJeepin 06-06-2013 11:28 AM

Re: Won't start, need some serious help

what engine do you have in your WK?

Carbon28 06-06-2013 11:30 AM

Hemi, 5.7

bill_de 06-06-2013 11:37 AM

If it won't crank at all, the battery and its connections might be a starting point.

WVUJeepin 06-09-2013 10:01 AM

Did anything work? Did u see a shop?

Willx 06-09-2013 10:05 AM

I am concerned about your oil light... typically yellow light (SES) means fix me soon, red light means don't drive. If you hear the "click" and no crank there may be some bigger issues here.

We would like to hear an update on the status.

Carbon28 06-09-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WVUJeepin (Post 838393)
Did anything work? Did u see a shop?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willx (Post 838395)
We would like to hear an update on the status.

Maybe it was just that day, but now it clicks and cranks just didn't start that one time when usually it starts up immediately after stalling. After work and class I brought it to an autozone and checked the battery and did an alternator test. Everything checks out, spot on voltage etc. So while there I took out my aftermarket CAI and looked at the throttle body, pretty clean. Because the guy suggested it could be clogged.

Also he said I believe a crankshaft position senor might be going bad? Something like 20-25 bucks and would take 45 minutes to change out, so I may do that just to rule it out.

But getting back to the shop, I didn't go, after getting an estimate on a tranny/diff full drain at a Jeep dealership I didnt even want to bother with them (upwards of $800 plus). So I went and researched the internet and various forums. Fortunately Im not the only one with a Hemi experiencing this.

What I've come to the conclusion is that the reason it stutters and stalls and the red oil light comes on is because the engine detects there isn't enough oil in circulation at start up, therefore as a safety measure it shuts down. ALSO I have come across enough threads to make it a plausible reason that the type of oil could be a source of causation. Now Im not talking about viscosity but actually down to the brand of oil.

So I called up a dealership nearby and asked what type of oil they use and its Mopar, Pennzoil brand. Thats what Im leaning towards, other than that I dunno, just raised major concerns because it wouldn't start back up immediately and I needed to get to work. So my next oil change I'll be using dealership specifications, because the way I look at it my vehicles are always highly maintained so I just buy whats on sale because its only in there for a couple months or so. Thanks guys.