Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f75/)
-   -   HID question - auto headlights (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f75/hid-question-auto-headlights-61070.html)

jerkylips 06-06-2013 03:48 PM

HID question - auto headlights

not sure if I'm overthinking this, but in the documentation from xenon depot, it says not to turn the headlights on until after starting the car. With headlights in the auto position, at night they turn on as you're starting. Will this cause any issues? Also, when using the keyfob to unlock, the headlights turn on. Obviously the car is not on at this point.

I'm planning to order a set asap, but want to make sure this isn't an issue before I do.

Darth Vapor SRT 06-19-2013 08:52 PM

Re: HID question - auto headlights

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerkylips (Post 836531)
not sure if I'm overthinking this, but in the documentation from xenon depot, it says not to turn the headlights on until after starting the car. With headlights in the auto position, at night they turn on as you're starting. Will this cause any issues? Also, when using the keyfob to unlock, the headlights turn on. Obviously the car is not on at this point.

I'm planning to order a set asap, but want to make sure this isn't an issue before I do.

Its not recommended to have the headlights on auto with any hid or xenon bulbs. When going thru a tunnel for example, its not good for the ballast to fire up and then shut down and so on. Also, I have always been told (by the guys at xenon depot) to not have my headlights go on when unlocking the car with the fob. Best to just manually turn them on and off. Hope this helps.

jerkylips 06-19-2013 09:25 PM

Thanks for the reply. I did get a response from xenon depot that it shouldn't be an issue. Lots of cars come with HIDs now and have auto headlights so I'm not going to worry about it. I actually got them installed today, going to go for a drive now that it's dark.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

bobbyovrlnd14 07-21-2013 06:59 AM

Had a question ... I want to change out the stock hid bulbs for a 7000k along with the fog light, but I asked 2 places one said I have to change the ballace in the headlight the other said just gotta change the xenon bulb? Anyone know the right way?

Moses84 07-25-2013 09:13 AM

Re: HID question - auto headlights

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyovrlnd14 (Post 862051)
Had a question ... I want to change out the stock hid bulbs for a 7000k along with the fog light, but I asked 2 places one said I have to change the ballace in the headlight the other said just gotta change the xenon bulb? Anyone know the right way?

Xenon Kits require you to use a ballast. Without it, the bulb will not ignite properly. It's not as simple as switching the bulb out. Also, I've been looking to install a 35w, 6k, DDM tuning kit but according to them I need a wiring harness. I've been looking for a plug-n-play setup but can't find one at reasonable prices. Any suggestions anyone?

TechSavvy 08-04-2013 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moses84 (Post 864437)
Xenon Kits require you to use a ballast. Without it, the bulb will not ignite properly. It's not as simple as switching the bulb out. Also, I've been looking to install a 35w, 6k, DDM tuning kit but according to them I need a wiring harness. I've been looking for a plug-n-play setup but can't find one at reasonable prices. Any suggestions anyone?

Actually since he has stock hid's, the stock ballasts can still be used and it is a simple bulb swap. You just have to make sure to use the correct hid replacement bulbs.

With your response, I assume you're running stock halogen bulbs from factory (non-hid) in which case you're correct and need to utilize a full kit with ballasts.

To answer your question, with hid kits I've always got exactly what I've paid for unfortunately :(
But I do hear that's changed in the last year or so where there are some budget-friendly quality kits out there.....